Recognize this machine?

nihonsteve

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I was totally shocked at the wonderful cup of cappuccino that I got at a coffee shop at a large train station in Tokyo. I was wondering if anyone recognized the make/model of the machine from this photo.

Attachments

• e machine.jpg
    e machine.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 358

nihonsteve

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
After a month and a half, nobody figured out who made this machine. However, after an extensive search of my own, it turns out it is a Segafredo 100 T series machine.

nihonsteve

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi Rose,

It took a lot of searches on bing and google and scanning through pages and pages of "images" rather than text. After lots of failures, I got the idea that since I saw it in Japan, and knowing that Japanese can sometimes be big on "purity" of the product, I searched for machines made either in Japan or Italy, as opposed to other countries.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Honestly that machine looks like overkill to me. Personally don't like the angular/heightened face as workspace is minimized with the design and I have no respect for the touch pad automatic functions. Great espresso never comes from pushing a button and waiting for the machine to do the work. Same as a "barista" shoving a pitcher of milk under the steam wand, cranking the steam valve wide open and walking away...

That machine shares bits and pieces of various commercial machines, causing one part to look like this and part of that. Only feature I do like is the toggle steam valves, which offer better control over the typical turn valve.

nihonsteve

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
That is one mean looking espresso machine. I'm always surprised if I can get half way decent brew in a public shop.

I agree that going to random coffee shops is hit or miss at best. If you want a great cup in a strange place, you need a coffee buddy that knows where to go. But I relish the effort of trying to find a good place on my own, through my own evaluation. I am extremely fortunate and get to travel on business throughout Asia and Europe on a regular basis. I make an effort to try the cappucino at 2 or 3 different shops a day. In places like downtown Seoul, Korea there are probably 100 coffee shops within walking distance of most major hotels and $10,000~$15,000 espresso machines everywhere. Typical shops in France, Germany, and Italy don't seem to care as much about the high end machines, but pay a lot more attention to the overal experience. More than 70% of the time, the capuccino tastes little different than coffee with milk in it. 25% is pretty good, but not exciting enough to seek it out for another cup. 5% is great. But this one particular shop at Shinagawa, Station, Tokyo......wow! Can't wait to go back. The milk was perfectly carmelized, and the espresso had a chocolately, smooth, rich flavor, that I've never been able to make myself. And the milk foam wasn't just sitting on top for a mouthful of milk during the first gulp. It was perfectly mixed with the crema. I sat and watched the barista for a while. He probably made 30 cups an hour, but made it look effortless.