How tough is it to clean an espresso machine without a faucet?

Drivebytrucker

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone! I'm new here. It's good to be here.
I am looking to purchase an espresso machine for my studio. It's my creative space, and it lacks a faucet. Having one installed isn't practical due to where the plumbing is. I have access to a common restroom inside the building which has a sink, but it's about as sanitary as a gas station bathroom. At best, I could rinse a coffee mug in the sink. But it better be a small coffee mug. I have a water hose outside that I use frequently.
I want an espresso machine in my studio, but I don't know how practical it will be to keep it clean.
I would be purchasing my water for about a $1 gallon and using that for making espresso, and clean up. Additionally, I would take whatever parts need to be scrubbed outside to clean with a soap bucket and water hose.
What are your thoughts?
Thanks

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
You really need a sink with running water. There is too much clean up involved with a traditional espresso machine. It sounds like the common restroom sink and faucet are enough to gag a maggot. And you wouldn't be happy having to go outside to use a hose with cold water.

Maybe something simple like a aeropress would fit your needs. There isn't too much cleanup involved, and you'd have decent coffee while you're at your studio.
Amazon.com: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee and Espresso Maker: Kitchen & Dining

My Aeropress.com - Video of the AeroPress in Action

You'd also need an electric kettle to heat the water, but at least you'll be able to make your coffee and not have to worry about too much cleanup.

Rose

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Rose, that actually depends on how efficient one is with the machine. I fill my semi-auto before each use which is half-gallon max. A bit of flushing can be done in any coffee mug between shots to clean screen, etc., which is what I do. The only thing that makes it into the drip tray is solenoid bypass and I keep a sponge in the drip tray to absorb that. I do scrub the portafilter and basket under hot water from the faucet, but a quick rinse from the machine would suffice. The only time an espresso can/should get messy is with backflushing, but of course not all machines require that.

To the OP, I'd suggest a lever machine. Very simple, water efficient and no mess at all if operated properly.

A simple machine/grinder along with 2 water jugs (one for fresh water and one for waste water) could be carried back/forth daily along with a few hand towels for general cleanup. Even steaming milk can be done with minimal fuss/mess for a situation such as this. Espresso doesn't have to be messy, just that most let it get that way.

Last edited: