Vintage Electric Percolators in the 21st Century ?

Mugsy

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
attachment.php
attachment.php
A while back, my Cuisinart drip unit started leaking quite a bit, and I thought about finding a suitable replacement. On a whim, I unboxed my mother`s old West Bend electric percolator (circa 1963), ground some beans on my burr grinder`s coarse setting, filled the pot with filtered well water, and brewed up the best coffee I`ve had in a long time. Rich, strong, smooth, flavorful, and HOT! (one of my pet peeves with drip makers, most don`t get hot enough).

In addition to dispensing delicious coffee, I also love the styling of these old coffeemakers....they remind me of nice vintage automobiles. The build quality is awesome as well....they`re from an era when "Made In USA" meant you were holding the best product available.

I recently obtained this beauty, an absolutely pristine (never used !)1956 Universal Coffeematic....IMG_0234 (225x300).jpgIMG_0233 (480x640).jpg

Bob_E

Dec 14, 2013
Michigan
Visit site
I have a 22 cup electric percolator from the 70's that I use for family functions and the like. It still works great and makes a much better cup of coffee than folks had led me to believe before I tasted it myself.

Mugsy

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I believe the key to brewing a good cup of coffee is to keep your coffee maker immaculately clean. Mine gets scrubbed daily with 2 dedicated nylon brushes that are only used on the coffee maker.

plainolddave

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
Hold on a second. I'm career Navy and a well-seasoned coffee cup is the sign of a salty Fleet Sailor. I know of Master Chiefs that have NEVER washed their coffee cup. You have to clean a Percolator regularly?

Mugsy

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Hold on a second. I'm career Navy and a well-seasoned coffee cup is the sign of a salty Fleet Sailor. I know of Master Chiefs that have NEVER washed their coffee cup. You have to clean a Percolator regularly?

Only if you don`t like drinking boiler sludge, Chief ! :-?

I remember some of the old lifers in `Nam pressing their canteen cups down into the grounds, hoping to get the last bit o` squeezin`s that might be left. But, I`m not in country any more, so I can get fresh coffee whenever I want....