Complete novice seeks simple advice please?

peterpoose

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks,

I am from London and we are just moving into a new flat.

Just a simple request for some advice on a coffee machine please.

I like Cappuccino, Latte, hot chocolate and she likes espresso.

I think we have already decided on a pod type machine for ease of use and fast.

We have a budget of around £100 give or take. We don't want to spend 100s of pounds on one but just one that does ok coffee. I am not sure if the pod ones come with auto cappuccino maker with milk? Never used any coffee machine before so totally clueless :)

We did see this one NESCAFÉ Dolce Gusto Circolo Play & Select by De'Longhi EDG605.B Coffee and Beverage Machine, Black and liked the design of it but again no clue about it.

Which pods do we buy? Which are the best value for money? Which taste the best? Is there even a difference?

Sorry for all the dumb questions and hope to hear your suggestions.

Thanks for your time :)

Peter

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
nescafe seem to be very popular but the pod is very expensive. In us 65cents per and that seem to be very expensive. I think Kuerig would work better since you can buy the after market pod. In my opinion, having to put your own selected coffee would be better then purchasing coffee that has been sitting in the plastic container for months... But then again, that is my opinion.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
CJ, Keurig machines do OK drip-range beverages, but can't come close to approaching anything resembling espresso. They (OP) also need milk steaming capability. Some may recommend heating milk in a microwave or saucepan then whisk to achieve foam, etc., but that isn't the same as actually stretching the milk with steam... and won't pour or taste the same.

Peterpoose, for what you desire to have in one machine (consistency, minimal mess/fuss, push button simplicity) I'd recommend one of the Nespresso machines. The capsules they use would be the next best thing to actual grinding and much better than stale pods as the capsules are well sealed. Won't be the cheapest route, but may cover all your needs.

Last edited:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "peterpoose' (Peter)

Welcome to the Coffee Forums.

I converted the value of 100 pounds to US Dollars in order to figure out how much money you're working with. (Approximately $152).

I don't think a Keurig would be the machine for you, especially since you and your wife like espresso and espresso-based drinks.

Since you've already decided on a pod machine, keep exploring the Nespresso machines. However, it looks like you'll still need to find a way to foam/steam the milk. Some of the Nespresso machines come packaged together with a milk foamer, but from what I've looked at so far, those prices total to more than 100 pounds.

Rose

peterpoose

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks all for your responses, helped alot :)

I can raise my budget if it is worth it, my sister has a Bosch one and says its really easy to use and clean. Any feedback on them? Im guessing it will be negative feedback?

Thanks again!

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Generally speaking most Bosch products are good, but you need to provide us with more info on what your sister uses.

Coffee is like most things in life, the more time and effort you put into it the more enjoyment you will get out of it.