Operating a Rancilio Sylvia from bed?

doram

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Operating a Rancilio Silvia from bed?

I am thinking of treating myself to one of those remote controlled mains sockets, so that I can turn on my Rancilio Silvia from bed instead of having to go down to the kitchen to heat the machine (yes, I am that lazy). This would mean that I will have to leave the machine's on/off switch always on, and instead turn it on and off directly from the mains socket. I am not sure if this is OK to do and if it will have any (negative) effect on the machine. I would love to have some advice from those of you who have the technical knowledge to say if this would work or if it is a bad idea.

Last edited:

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Bad idea.

1. You will be wasting unnecessary energy.
2. You will be wearing out your boiler by having int ready and encourage scale buildup.

My recommendation would be to purchase automatic espresso machine. Your Silvia is not for lazy bums like you..lol... That beauty will need very good care and constant attention like your beautiful woman. There are tons of good automatic machines out there that can accommodate your need.

doram

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, but I am not sure you understood the question

Bad idea.

1. You will be wasting unnecessary energy.
2. You will be wearing out your boiler by having int ready and encourage scale buildup.

My recommendation would be to purchase automatic espresso machine. Your Silvia is not for lazy bums like you..lol... That beauty will need very good care and constant attention like your beautiful woman. There are tons of good automatic machines out there that can accommodate your need.

I was asking about turning the machine on/off remotely, not about leaving it on for longer - i.e. instead of going to the machine to turn it on and warm it up for a few minutes, to do it with a remote control which switches the power supply to the machine from the mains socket. This should not have any effect on energy use or scale buildup. What I wanted to know was if there would be an effect to leaving the machine's switch ON, while turning OFF the power supply from the mains socket.

As for your other comment - I have had the same Silvia for 15 years, my beautiful woman for even longer, so I think I can be saved from the insulting idea of sending me to get an automatic machine (yuck).

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Lots of people put machines on automatic timers for this reason and it works fine IF done properly. For the Silvia you must be sure the boiler is full, no switches (other than main power switch) are ON and the steam valve is OFF. Have read of many boilers/elements being destroyed because of the machine being left in steam mode causing things to run dry and get really hot once it powers up automatically.

CoffeeJunky, whether the OP gets out of bed to start the machine 1 hour in advance or does so via a timing mechanism the machine is still on for the same time. No energy wasted... Also, contrary to popular belief any machine (including automatics) benefit from being ON for some time. No machine I've ran across will be ready within 5-10 mins. of start-up.

doram

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Lots of people put machines on automatic timers for this reason and it works fine IF done properly. For the Silvia you must be sure the boiler is full, no switches (other than main power switch) are ON and the steam valve is OFF. Have read of many boilers/elements being destroyed because of the machine being left in steam mode causing things to run dry and get really hot once it powers up automatically.

CoffeeJunky, whether the OP gets out of bed to start the machine 1 hour in advance or does so via a timing mechanism the machine is still on for the same time. No energy wasted... Also, contrary to popular belief any machine (including automatics) benefit from being ON for some time. No machine I've ran across will be ready within 5-10 mins. of start-up.

Thanks, this is what I thought and am happy to get confirmation.