My new favorite brewing method- Chorreador

adbdk

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I recently returned from a trip to Costa Rica where my morning coffee was almost always brewed in a "Chorreador" or a wooden stand with a cloth filter. It's basically the opposite of a French Press and the cotton filter removes some of the oils that gives dark coffee that bitter taste. Sometimes simple is better. So far, the best tasting brew next to my Moka Pot.

Has anyone else tried coffee from a Chorreador?

adbdk

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I was the same way (and still am to an extent). Since its the oils that give coffee most of its antioxidants and taste, I was hesitant to commit to this method, but side-by-side taste test with a french press- chorreador wins hands down.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I'm glad you like the way the coffee tastes, because I imagine that it's a real pain to wash the cotton bolsita after each use and then have to scrub it with salt to get the oil based stains out.

adbdk

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I actually just dump the grounds for composting and rinse the cotton and let it dry, I haven't had to clean it with salt yet. The stains and oils are supposed to accumulate over time and make the coffee taste better, but I suppose I'll have to get a replacement eventually.