If my favorite is made on La Marzocco...

Music_Geek

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
The best espresso drinks I've ever had (straight, red eye, Cortado/Gibraltar etc) have all come from La Marzocco.

Is there a consumer machine I should be considering investing in, or should I just always default to "go for a drive when you need espresso?"

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
There are tons of machines out there that would give great espresso. I can think of machines like Silvia by Rancilio. I think the price tag at around 650 seem very reasonable
Espresso Maker Rancilio Silvia Rocky Doserless Grinder Gently Used 33311133310 | eBay just found this.

YOu need good espresso machine but also good grinder.

There are many other out there. On Youtube, there are tons of reviews on all kinds of machines. Take your pic and enjoy awesome espresso...

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Apparently you've only experienced La Marzocco and nothing else as there are many machines on par or better than them. They would like for many to believe the double boiler setup is the only way to go, but that's B.S. I've used 2 "good" La Marzocco machines and never really liked the function or form compared to other commercial offerings.

IMBHO La Marzocco are like Ferrari. They think they are at the top of their class, but far from reality when other supercars can be had cheaper and perform as good or better.

Music_Geek

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Shadow, No, no... it's much worse than that, for me. I haven't used ANY of these machines. Though my family is considering opening a coffee business in the next year or so (my area has none) I'm sort of asking "what should I be looking at?" if I want something semi traditional, with enough pressure to make real espresso at home. I'm looking for advice from people who know the market, more than just amazon reviews, etc. Just names I should be looking into. Sorry for the confusion.

I've been checking reviews on YouTube like Harold recommended as well... just thought I should pick brains in the "espresso machine" forum. Thanks!

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
It all depends on your budget. I recommended with price in mind. If you don't mind spending 2-5k, there would be different recommendation. I think Silvia is great for what its worth. And also if you want to open a coffee shot and wanting to learn, I would buy good condition single group (110v) commercial machines like Nuovam Simmonelli, Brazilia, Ciambli, and etc. Those would give you much higher performance and will be able to learn what it is like to work with commercial machines. Silvia is great machine still it is home use not commercial setting. Also boiler is much smaller and won't give you powerful steam.