G.A.T. Exploding stovetop espresso maker

annalena

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
DSC_0217.JPGHi,
We bought 8 months ago an expensive G.A.T. Espresso maker. A week ago it exploded whilst on the stovetop. The coffee went every where. Thankfully I had just moved away from the stove when it happened. The explosion was so loud that my wife and friends who were on the balcony came running in to see what had happened. We have had stovetop espresso makers for years and this is the first time this has ever happened.

We contacted the company who gave us a standard spiel about sending back by post the coffee maker etc. We wrote back saying that we were not happy to send the espresso maker from australia to italy not knowing what would happen next. They might even say they didnt receive it after we paid for the postage which is quite expensive.

They have ignored further emails from us.

We also put up a message on their facebook page to warn the public about this. It was taken down in minutes.

Does anybody have any suggestions how we can get them to be more apologetic as this was a quite shocking experience and we are still having trouble getting rid of the coffee stains on our walls and ceiling.

We are contemplating setting up a website highlighting this incident so that the public is aware of it. It may be that other customers of G.A.T products have had similar experiences but have had their complaints stifled.

Just wondering what other peoples thoughts are.

We are also in the process of getting in touch with consumer protection for advise on how to further proceed.

Regards

Norman and Almut

Last edited:

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Well you should send it back anyways. Pay the extra cost that requires the receiving company to sign for delivery that way you'll have a record of it. Every major shipper out there allows for you to do this.

I've heard in the past of this happening its actually more common than you may think. That little brass piece on the lower container should be the overpressure valve. I'm assuming if your pot exploded it has failed to pop off. The other way I've heard of these going off is cross threading the lower to the upper. Cross threading can tear out some of the threads weakening the connection and can over time cause it to blow apart.

Don't get mad that your stove top blew up, these things happen. Also they want it back to inspect the device, if they find a product fault they can try to determine if a whole batch is bad. By not sending it back you are the one that is causing the problem. My advise is to bite the bullet and send it back.

annalena

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Well you should send it back anyways. Pay the extra cost that requires the receiving company to sign for delivery that way you'll have a record of it. Every major shipper out there allows for you to do this.

I've heard in the past of this happening its actually more common than you may think. That little brass piece on the lower container should be the overpressure valve. I'm assuming if your pot exploded it has failed to pop off. The other way I've heard of these going off is cross threading the lower to the upper. Cross threading can tear out some of the threads weakening the connection and can over time cause it to blow apart.

Don't get mad that your stove top blew up, these things happen. Also they want it back to inspect the device, if they find a product fault they can try to determine if a whole batch is bad. By not sending it back you are the one that is causing the problem. My advise is to bite the bullet and send it back.

Thanks for your info. However we have not heard of such an explosion or read about it in the internet.Also what do you mean with not getting mad about it? Have you ever tried to get rid of coffe stains on walls and ceiling? You gotto be joking about telling us we are the ones causing problems...or are you part of G.A.T.???

annalena

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site

Well, the threads were not failing.

And I see no reason to think the pressure was higher than normal. The relief valve is there in case there is a blockage and water cannot flow into the top part.

If that happened and the relief valve did not work, you'd expect a much worse explosion. The one we had was very small in comparison - the pot only moved a small distance.

It seems plain to me that the lower vessel failed under normal operating pressure.

We have been not been putting something other than water in there, so it is a manufacturing fault.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I searched the internet and found a few instances where they have exploded...youtube has a few videos.
vev vigano - YouTube I can assure you that ccafe is not affiliated with that company. He was just trying to help. If you don't want to go the route he suggested contact a lawyer. Those seem to be the only 2 choices you have. I personally hate those coffee makers..they have always made me nervous as do the stove top steamers. Good luck sorting this out and keep us posted.

annalena

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
y. will keep you posted if this issue will ever be solved as I will not spend the $ to send back the machine from Australia to Italy and the company does not seem to communicate properly I am not going to start a legal fight. Last thing for me now will be to inform consumer protection. I start to get tired of this matter and will stop thinking about it. I will not buy any products of GAT anymore as I am not happy with their customer service. Possible that other people made similar experiences with exploding machines however the customer service of this company is particular bad. Thanks for you answers...

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Well, the threads were not failing.

And I see no reason to think the pressure was higher than normal. The relief valve is there in case there is a blockage and water cannot flow into the top part.

If that happened and the relief valve did not work, you'd expect a much worse explosion. The one we had was very small in comparison - the pot only moved a small distance.

It seems plain to me that the lower vessel failed under normal operating pressure.

We have been not been putting something other than water in there, so it is a manufacturing fault.

I know your upset but you must understand that not everyone has a G.A.T, up till now I've never heard of one. But its a Moka pot plain and simple. I've seen Moka pots where the threads have failed, gaskets have leaked under pressure (that's a pretty sight too) as well as exploded bases. When it came down to the base exploding it was usually caused by the PRV (pressure relief valve) being blocked scale in the main boiling vessel. What causes it to blow off is the feeding tube to the upper container becomes contaminated over time if not cleaned out. That causes the espresso to backup, if all is working well the lower PRV should pop and release the pressure, if not.....ticking time bomb!

Ask any of the moderators and they'll tell you I do not work for the people who make your version of the Moka pot. I was up till last year one of the Admins in this board. I have since stepped away but like to chime in from time to time. Take my feedback with a grain of salt!