Rate my coffee stuff

Turner

Nov 28, 2004
Visit site
Hi everyone -

Well, I've been drinking coffee for a long time but have become a bit of a snob over the last four or five years.

Unlike my mother-in-law, who microwaves the glass Mr. Coffee pot after brewing "to get it hotter" (she says why spend another $15 on a new machine? It'll just do the same thing) I have become particularly annoyed with bad coffee :) and I suppose part of this is being able to tell the difference...

Anyway, my equipment is as follows:
Grinder: Krups basic blade grinder (I know, I know..)
Coffee: Krups Pro Aroma, about 8 years old now
and an old Bodum 4-cup French press which I never really learned to operate or appreciate
Cap: Krups "unnamed" model, just your basic, about 11 years old now

and a Bonjour Caffé Froth Turbo.

So I'm just looking for your opinions on this stuff, and perhaps where to begin to improve. Man, would I like to have really, really good coffee consistently.

Any suggestions appreciated!

thx
Andrew

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
learn to use your press....I love mine....if I do not own a electric coffee brewer at home....I use a commercial machine at work...if I was going to use an electric machine at home I would use a commercial one. But you can get a great...an awsome cup out of your press! :wink:

Turner

Nov 28, 2004
Visit site
Thanks topher... I had a hunch...

I think part of my problem is grinding - our (relatively) cheap electric chopper, I suppose, needs to be closely watched/timed. Hm.. maybe that means a good grinder is the next step!

FWIW I have had some absolutely stunning cups from the press, and ones that tasted like they were made in a vaccuum-style coffee maker, that vaccuum being a Hoover..

Cheers!
Andrew

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
opps forgot....throw your "chopper" away...it breaks the coffee and you do not get a consistant grind...you can pick up a burr grinder for around $50....vacuums kick ass! Bodum has one out and it is cooooool!

angelo211

Oct 15, 2004
New York
Visit site
Hi Andrew
For those who are not aware a major (the largest) coffee chain is changing their equipment...... I have it! If you are a fan of their coffee or just want top of the line equipment at liquidation prices I can help you.
I can email or fax pics specs and prices. Please contact me if you are interested. Angelo 585-292-7262
[email protected]
Check out our website at: www.theadvantagegroup.com