Is my grind too fine for my machine?

RocknPop

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I have an Estro Vapore (same as the Barista from Starbucks), and I just converted the portafilter to non-pressurized (per suggestions here).

I have a Gaggia MDF that I use to grind the beans using a setting at #4 or #5 and it seems the grind is too fine as no water can go through and I'm afraid of harming the machine.

What can I do to fix this? Should I just go back to pressurized? Should I get another machine? The pressure coming out of the machine without the portafilter is somewhat low as well.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Don't worry about numbers on a grinder as they are really only useful as a point of reference. Back off a bit more coarse until you get proper flow.

How old is the machine? Do you descale often? Clean the shower screen often?

I suggest doing a water debit test... place a cup under the group (no portafilter in place) and run the pump for 10 seconds. You should have 3-4 oz. in that time frame. Less than 3 oz. may indicate some blockage or a weak pump.

RocknPop

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Don't worry about numbers on a grinder as they are really only useful as a point of reference. Back off a bit more coarse until you get proper flow.

I suggest doing a water debit test... place a cup under the group (no portafilter in place) and run the pump for 10 seconds. You should have 3-4 oz. in that time frame. Less than 3 oz. may indicate some blockage or a weak pump.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try a coarser grind. The machine is about a year old (bought refurbished from a reputable tech). New pump and descaled recently. Is the cleaning of the shower screen something easy that I can do? I should be able to take it apart and clean huh?

RocknPop

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Yes the shower screen should be removed and cleaned often. Same with the portafilter/basket. Coffee grounds/oil will accumulate over time causing bad taste and a decreased/irregular flow rate. Your machine also has a group valve that can clog over time, causing decreased flow, etc. Here's a schematic for better understanding...

http://www.partsguru.com/user/Barista 05.01.pdf

Thank you so much for the schematic and the tips. I remember I tried taking one of these apart (my old Barista) and I actually have to unscrew the shower cap from inside the assembly (as opposed to just unscrewing those 4 bolts)....

RocknPop

May 9, 2013
Visit site

OK I ran it. I got approximately 2.5oz in exactly 10 seconds. If I ran it for a second longer I would be closer to 3, so I think the machine is ok.

Also, I ran a coarser grain and it was better. I think this is going to be a trial and error thing...