Newbie has stupid question about De'Longhi Bar 32 Retro Machine

jlady

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I just got my first espresso machine, it is a De'Longhi Bar 32 Retro 15 Bar pump. I bought it used from Ebay. When I went to try it, I can't get any water to come out. I have never used any of these type of machines before. I would assume the water should come right out, but I got nothing or just a few drops. Could it be it has to heat up, and if so how long should it take??

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I have never made an espresso and no nothing about making them, I read the instructions and followed them, but it just says when the ok light turns green to switch to the pour coffee button and drain the tank (this is before using coffee grinds).

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Will start off by saying there are NO stupid questions as we all have to begin somewhere...

Looks as if your machine has a selector switch for each function. Are you sure you have it in the correct position to pump through the group?

When a machine sits empty for some time the pump usually needs to prime itself and you may not see any water from the group right away... having said that you don't want to run the pump more than maybe 15-20 seconds if totally dry either.

alank

May 5, 2013
Florida
Visit site
Does the water heat? If not, heater might be broken. If water does heat but won't come out try descaling (hard deposit formed by chemicals in water) process mentioned in your manual. Clean all components like holes where steam comes out with a pin. Also, clean basket where you put coffee in. De'Longhi has a toll free number in the manual.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Flow from the group will be possible whether there is heat or not in a pump machine. Would make all the difference in a steam powered machine though.

Most new users don't give the pump enough time to prime when a machine is new or used/sitting awhile.

If hard water scale is an issue it should be apparent by looking at any place water/steam exits.

If the pump gets quiet, becomes labored and you have no flow for a bit, then there is probably blockage.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
As Shadow said, we all have to start somewhere. I also think you are having water prime issue. See the manual and see if you can manually prime or way to prime the pump. Also, give little extra time for boiler to heat up before you start up the brewing process. Good Luck.

onadonad

May 19, 2013
Visit site
The instruction say after the green light is on, to press the bottom button and then turn the round knob on the top and then steam and water will come out of the frother tube on the side. The machine may well be quite noisy while it does this. Then close the round knob at the top and turn the bottom switch off and switch the middle one on and the water will start to come out after maybe 20-30 seconds. Hope that does it!