Espresso through a Keurig?

Violentos

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I realize that the Keurig machines have a very weak pump, certainly not enough to press through fine ground espresso beans in a manner in which actual espresso machines accomplish.

My question though is, if I grind up my own espresso beans very fine and put them in the reusable k cup filter, can a Keurig produce a strong enough extract through the "small" cup option to resemble the espresso flavor at all? Could I use it in blended iced drinks? Would it taste acceptable?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Hard to say until you try it. I must say there's no such thing as espresso beans as any coffee can be used for any brew method. Just that certain coffees work better for espresso and typically (not always) a darker roast level is desired to minimize acidity... which is magnified from brew pressure. I don't know much about Keurigs, but I'd have to believe they aren't capable of producing much over a few bars of pressure at most. Also don't know what sort of over pressure device may be incorporated to prevent pump/plumbing damage.