Turkish/Arabian Coffee Pot: Domed and Spouted?

JackInTucson

Jun 8, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Visit site
Wanting to expand my coffee horizons I recently asked my wife to bring me an authentic Middle Eastern/Turkish/Arabian/Greek coffee pot back from a business trip to Israel. She inquired locally where to find the real thing and was directed to an Arab market and purchased what is obviously a well made (not decorative) coffee pot. It is engraved brass with a tinned interior and wooden handle extending from the body of the pot as is typical of Turkish pots. It has a hinged domed lid and a spout located just below the tapered waist of the pot.

I have done a bit of on-line research and found many recipes and (often contradictory) advice on how to properly make Turkish coffee. All the sites and YouTube videos however, show the typical open top and spoutless Turkish coffee pot. I have not seen any of the design I have.

I have tried making several pots using different ratios of ultra fine ground coffee/water/sugar and have been generally happy with the results except for the lack of "crema" (due to the spout and inconvenience of scooping out foam with a spoon I suspect).

Can anyone enlighten me as to the proper use of the pot I have? Is it interchangeable with use using the more publicized open topped Turkish pot, or do I have an entirely different device requiring a different technique?

I have attached a picture of my pot. Any help/advice would be most appreciated.

Regards from Tucson

IMG_0313.jpg