First Time Espresso Machine Advice

CoffeyshopChris

Apr 22, 2013
Memphis,TN
Visit site
Hey guys,

I recently became part of a website that sells espresso machines, beans, and accessories. We are trying to cater to first time owners, and people who are early on in their espresso journey. We are putting together a guide for buying your first espresso machine, and I am not foolish enough to think that I know everything about buying, using, and learning about espresso machines, so I thought I would pose this question to the CF community:

What advice would you give to first time buyers of an espresso machine?(it can be about budget, cleaning, anything you wish you knew when you got your first machine)

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello CoffeyshopChris

I recently purchased this book:
The Blue Bottle Craft of Coffee: Growing, Roasting, and Drinking, with Recipes: James Freeman, Caitlin Freeman, Tara Duggan: 9781607741183: Amazon.com: Books

There is a section that describes various ways to make coffee. In the section about espresso machines, the authors say that a person should decide how much they want to spend on making espresso at home, and then double it, and then double it again. This is because many people end up paying more than they originally planned. In addition to buying a good/sturdy/reliable espresso machine, you have to add on a (not cheap) coffee grinder, and then buy whatever other accessories you need.

One other factor that people overlook is how much space a good espresso machine will take up on their kitchen counter. If they buy one of the inexpensive, lightweight, portable machines, they'll end up with poor quality coffee and then they'll wonder why.

Rose

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
When you are purchasing espresso machine, you have also consider how many time you would use them at home and how many cups you are planning on pull each time. If you are plan to use few times a week but have to pull 5-6 shots each time, you have to remember to purchase bigger machine. Unless you are planning on waiting for very long time for your 6th shot. Some machine can pull great first shot but you have to wait awhile to pull next.

CJ