Stovetop Espresso - Coffee Tastes Burnt

Scotter

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I have just recently started using a stovetop espresso maker at home. I have a basic version from Baccarat, nothing special.

When making my coffee I follow the directions that came with the item. Grind up my beans, place them in with water in the bottom and then onto the stove on medium-high heat. Everything goes well enough, but for some reason the coffee that is coming out of it is always tasting just a little bit burnt. I went to the local coffee shop and got a type of bean they said should work better in the stovetop espresso, but it is still tasting burnt.

Are there any tips/tricks out there from people experienced with this type of coffee maker?

Thanks,
Scott

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello Scott,

I'm assuming that the stove top espresso maker that you're referring to is a moka pot.

Did you "season" your moka pot before using it? If you do a Google search, you'll find lots of information about seasoning the stove top espresso maker. (moka pot)

Also, you said that you are using medium-high heat. Too high of a flame, resulting in a too fast coffee making process, will make the coffee taste bitter and burnt. Try lowering your flame. It may take a little longer to get the water to boil, but it may make a difference. Remove the pot from the heat when you hear the gurgling sound. If you leave it on the flame too long, the coffee will taste burnt too.

Rose

Scotter

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi Rose,

Yes I mean Moka Pot, called by a different name here :)

I will try turning the heat down and see how that goes. I try to take it off the stove once I hear the gurgling, so I'm on it with that tip.

Off to make myself a pot now with a lower temp, will let you know how it goes.

Flori

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
How is your moka pot going now? Hope it is much better for you that when you first started it.

Flori
Blogger, CoffeeLoversOfWorld.com

cfbugsbunny

Oct 5, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I have just recently started using a stovetop espresso maker at home. I have a basic version from Baccarat, nothing special.

When making my coffee I follow the directions that came with the item. Grind up my beans, place them in with water in the bottom and then onto the stove on medium-high heat. Everything goes well enough, but for some reason the coffee that is coming out of it is always tasting just a little bit burnt. I went to the local coffee shop and got a type of bean they said should work better in the stovetop espresso, but it is still tasting burnt.

Are there any tips/tricks out there from people experienced with this type of coffee maker?

Thanks,
Scott

I lift the lid up on my Bialetti 6 cup. That way I can see when it starts coming up through the top. I then lower my flame down to slow down the process. Once I see that the coffee level is up to the bottom of the triangular pouring spout I cut the flame and let the heat of the unit take care of the rest. It seems to be a good method and got it from another site.
Good luck.
Mark