Home roller grinding

rudy

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Hello-

I was reading up a little on roller grinders and I am surprised there are none available for home use. Is there a reason why no one has manufactured a small tabletop version? I'm gonna wager a guess that the reason is "they're not necessary," but from what I've read they are superior grinders to any burr grinder (correct me if I'm wrong), and who doesn't want the best haha.

The closest thing I found was the MashMaster MiniMill SS Grain Mill... which appears to still be overkill.

Look forward to hearing your responses.

-Rudy

buckhorn_cortez

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I would have to agree on cost being the reason. The roller burr replacement set on the smallest roller coffee grinder available is about $4K. If you truly want "the best" coffee grinder available for home use, look at Ditting or Mahlkonig grinders. Both manufacturers make commercial level coffee grinders. Both grinders use large (usually 80mm) flat grinding burrs. The Ditting KF804 is about $2250 USD while the Mahlkonig Guatemala is about $2295 USD. These are the type of "lab grinders" generally used by coffee roasting companies for grinding coffee for cupping to evaluate roasting profiles.