Coffee Press

VivianK

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
We enjoyed using a Coffee Press for the first time on a trip in London. We are in the USA and would like to purchase a Press. Which are the best Presses? What are the best features or construction of the press we should look for? Thanks in Austin, Texas

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello VivianK

Welcome to the Coffee Forums!

When you say that you're looking for a coffee press, I'm assuming that you're referring to a French Press?

Take a look at this one and see if it's similar to what you experienced in London:
Bodum Chambord Coffee Press: Kitchen & Dining: Amazon.com

You may want to scroll further down the page and read some of the description and comments too.

Rose

Flori

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
yes, bodum coffee press is a very good coffee press device. but it actually depends on you how you want the final result when choosing presses.

flori
blogger, coffeeloversofworld.com

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I really never thought about difference between one french press to another. I own 3 Bodum french press in two different size. And recently I actually had coffee that was prepared by french press sold at Ikea. I thought it did its job at about the 1/3 of the cost.

Surfer

Jun 18, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Visit site
Espro Press is the best one around, nifty unique features and fixes normal french press faults, however its pricey vs other press devices from other companies. But damn is it good.

For the money though hard to top the Aeropress.

Surfer

Jun 18, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Visit site
yeh i hate to say it as it comes off snobby, but the Espro is just worlds better then any low end/cheap french press, imo if your going to buy a press you only have two options, Aeropress or the Espro is you like french... anything in between just doesn't compare to those two.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
yeh i hate to say it as it comes off snobby, but the Espro is just worlds better then any low end/cheap french press, imo if your going to buy a press you only have two options, Aeropress or the Espro is you like french... anything in between just doesn't compare to those two.

It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish.
If you are looking to purchase cool looking and something that would last life time, espro, frieling, or even bonjour would be your thing but if you are just trying to get a good cup of coffee without spending tons, bodum or other brands would do its trick.

People will buy RollsRoyce, Bently not because of they are tons better car then Toyota but what it would bring you to know own one and prestige that comes with it. I have used most of all the French press and I don't think there is huge difference. I bet most of the people won't be able to tell one from another if there were blind taste test which I have done with my baristas. I did with Espro, AeroPress, Bodum and few other brands about 3 years ago and none of the trained 12 baristas who are experts in their opinion with different brewing experiences and 1/2 of them fail to pick out the Espro or Frieling out of 5 we have tested. My opinion is based on the study I have done. I did this study because we were in process of choosing one product to serve our coffee to our customers.

I would buy Espro if you don't mind spending few dollars but if you don't I would buy Bodum or even lesser priced item to brew and enjoy coffee.

Surfer

Jun 18, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Visit site
I've got a Bodum and def notice a taste difference with the Espro. Same with Aero but it's a bit different then others sp hard to compare there against normal french press machines even the Espro, but damn just it make an awesome smooth and flavor packed cup depending on which filter you use. But I agree part of the higher price of the Espro is it's build quality and looks.

But the Aero would be my go to for ease and especially price, since it's more along the lines of the Bodums and similar as far as price.

Last edited:

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I've got a Bodum and def notice a taste difference with the Espro. Same with Aero but it's a bit different then others sp hard to compare there against normal french press machines even the Espro, but damn just it make an awesome smooth and flavor packed cup depending on which filter you use. But I agree part of the higher price of the Espro is it's build quality and looks.

But the Aero would be my go to for ease and especially price, since it's more along the lines of the Bodums and similar as far as price.

Totally agree with you. Aeropress is one of the best way to brew your coffee.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello again VivianK,

What type/style of coffee press did you use when you were in London? Since you were happy with the coffee that you made in London, whatever kind of coffee press you used there would probably be fine for you. Keep in mind that the kind of roasted beans you used also played a part in your coffee enjoyment. You may not be able to totally duplicate the experience, but you can come close.

Rose

polytan

Aug 24, 2013
Cambridgeshire, UK
Visit site
Here a picture of my current french press. No wonder why there is some crap in the bottom of my cup ! ...

IMG_00000788.jpg

Clearly, looking at the gaps between the wall and the filter, it is just "normal" that I get what I get. To me it looks like a defective design as the main purpose of filtering cannot be accomplished, whatever.