How to evaluate a roaster for sale

CoffeeLovers

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
In purchasing a roaster, you must consider what size of roaster you require and your budget for buying it. Also, consider the cost of installation and the one who will install.

If you need a powerful roaster, you need an equally impressive afterburner. And you need to figure out how you will handle extra equipment before purchasing. Moreover, try to evaluate if the old roaster you are going to buy can sustain your operation with the cost of maintenance and labor.

Are you comfortable with your budget to get the machine?

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I think lovethatcoffee already made mind on purchasing a used roaster.
So my advise is first. Look for better quality machines. Typically, Probat, Diedrich and few other american made machines have better history of reliability.
But also ambex and few others have good factory support and parts availibility.
Second, having said that, you have to make sure and check the burner, motors and all the tubing are in good clean and working order.

I saw a older thread on Sweet Maria how the owner of sweet maria purchased older roaster and ended up rebuilding the whole set up.
It was very interesting and will give you some idea what you need to look for when you purchasing much older roasters.

Good Luck

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
My first thought would be to roast on any potential machine; watch for the color/height/evenness of the flames, listen for any bearing noise, and time the length of the roast when it's at its rated capacity.

lovethatcoffee

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
My first thought would be to roast on any potential machine; watch for the color/height/evenness of the flames, listen for any bearing noise, and time the length of the roast when it's at its rated capacity.

thanks for the advice. Anyone have any experience with the coffee crafters artesian 5?