Technical questions about espresso machine

jimbo

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I have an Astoria Rio 2group machine.
I have 2 questions.
First is, can I backflush both groups at the same time? I have two experienced baristas on staff, and they both say they have only done one at a time in previous jobs.

Second question: Does is take more electricity to keep an espresso machine on all night vs. turning off at 5 pm and then back on at 5 am?
Here's my thoughts on this: To leave on all night, the heating element kicks on for a few seconds, then off for quite some time. So How long does the heating element actually turn on for in those twelve hours?
Whereas, when it is turned off and allowed to cool overnight, it takes 20+ minutes to come to full temp in the morning, plus all the interior tubing has to come up to temp as well.

jimbo

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
So no one has any input? I guess that could mean everyone does one group at a time, but doesn't know why?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
You can always experiment and flush both at once. Then you can share your results with the class!

I'd call the manufacturer and talk to someone in customer service. I'm sure they've heard the same question before.

You can also ask the question about whether or not to leave the espresso machine on all night. The heating element only turns on to maintain the temperature throughout the night. Turning it off won't hurt, but you have to get in early to turn it on and let it heat up. Most people leave it on.

Rose

jimbo

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Rose. Don't know why it never occurred to me to call the manufacturer. Experimenting could result in an expensive lesson. I have learned this the hard way. Thanks again.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi Jimbo,

I'm glad you don't want to experiment. I wouldn't want to either. I figured I'd throw that idea out there and see what the reaction would be.

When you call the manufacturer, and if you get some answers to your questions, please share them with us.

Rose

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Would have to believe you can mechanically backflush both groups at the same time as each group has its own 3-way, etc. The plumbing surely varies machine-machine, but if each 3-way solenoid feeds one pipe going to the dump box you could possibly overload the pipe/box with excessive flow/foam when using detergent. Having said that I always alternated so there would always be one group available to extract from. If you're talking about during closing/cleanup hours then that goes out the window. Regarding leaving the machine ON overnight... I always shut it down after closing. Some people think the cold startup going to hot takes a toll on seals, etc., but so does the excessive heat of being on 24-7. Main reason I shut the machine OFF daily was to prevent issues such as an auto fill sensor (boiler) going bad and causing the boiler to possibly run dry or even overfill. Things of that nature do happen.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I'm guessing your Astoria is 220V. But if it's 110V, you could plug it into a device called a Kill-a-watt and measure its power consumption. They're under $20 shipped, and come in handy for all sorts of things. You'll know exactly what it costs per 24hr. period, and will be able to decide if you want to leave it on 24/7.

Latest posts