BonaVita thermal carafe exploded. Alternative carafe?

trk_koa

Aug 2, 2013
Reno, NV
Visit site
On Friday evening, my husband was rinsing the cool carafe (last made coffee the previous morning) with lukewarm water and the thermal carafe glass on the inside exploded. Sounded like a gunshot. Most of the glass remained inside but there were shards on the counter and floor. Luckily no one was hurt.

I did some googling and it appears this has happened to quite a few. BonaVita warranty doesn't cover the carafe, but I submitted a claim anyway. We had never mishandled it, used it maybe a couple dozen times since we got it last December. We usually use AeroPress in the morning and only use the bigger maker when we have guests.

But now I am concerned that even if they replace it, I can't trust it. It was scary and dangerous. Paid $150 For this thing and reports are that BonaVita is unsympathetic.

Can anyone here recommend a thermal carafe that might work with the BonaVita machine?
Nancy

trk_koa

Aug 2, 2013
Reno, NV
Visit site
Just to follow up. I was pleasantly surprised to get a brand new carafe shipped to me via UPS at no cost, no additional questions asked.

We will be very careful to point it away and not to be looking into it while rinsing. For safety sake.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Congratulations! It's very rare and also very nice when things work out.

I can see why you'd want to be careful with the new carafe. Let's hope the first one was defective, and the new one is much better made.