espresso machine! for new bakery cafe owner!

boltdaddy

Oct 10, 2013
sunnyside new york
Visit site
i just got my lease. i want to open my own bakery cafe. want to sell nice espresso. but i have no idea about espresso machine. espresso also, i try many different kind, narrow down to la colombe,,,
but i also really like illy. ok machine! i need help. i have no idea which machine should i get it. and also they are very expensive. please, help me out! thanks

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
How many cups of espresso do you plan to sell?
Also, espresso machine are very expensive and there is no going around it.
If you buy cheaper machine, you will have problem later, if you buy off brand, you will have tough time finding the parts and service company for the service.

Those should be all in consideration.

boltdaddy

Oct 10, 2013
sunnyside new york
Visit site
How many cups of espresso do you plan to sell?
Also, espresso machine are very expensive and there is no going around it.
If you buy cheaper machine, you will have problem later, if you buy off brand, you will have tough time finding the parts and service company for the service.

Those should be all in consideration.

i am thinking 50 - 80 cup of espresso. i kind of narrow down to 3 machines. nuova simonelli aurelia 2 heads vol, appia 2heads vol and unic rumba 2 heads vol( i never heard before).
i have no idea which one should i get. i have budget for $11000 which i have to buy 2 grinder, too. can you please help me out? many place i called sale person only try to sell the most expensive machine.
thank you.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I'm tempted to recommend you think about a lightly used machine too. In Milwaukee, I'm always seeing espresso machines on craigslist from coffee shops that are closing or simply replacing their equipment. New machines are so darned expensive, and something that's just been overhauled, at more than half off might be something to think about. But if you haven't spent a lot of time around espresso machines, you may not be comfortable w/ that.

The other thing I've heard (and those who have operated shops can confirm or debunk this) is that a 2-group really doesn't have enough room for two people to work on, and that with a 3-group the center group is mostly unused but it gives two people a little elbow room.

I have a Compak K10 at home, and think it makes a nice shop grinder w/o spending a ton.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Aurelia 2 all day long. The other two are not very good machine. How much are they asking for the Aurelia2 it should not be more then 6500.
Also two grinders for espresso or one for espresso and burr grinder.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I'm tempted to recommend you think about a lightly used machine too. In Milwaukee, I'm always seeing espresso machines on craigslist from coffee shops that are closing or simply replacing their equipment. New machines are so darned expensive, and something that's just been overhauled, at more than half off might be something to think about. But if you haven't spent a lot of time around espresso machines, you may not be comfortable w/ that.

The other thing I've heard (and those who have operated shops can confirm or debunk this) is that a 2-group really doesn't have enough room for two people to work on, and that with a 3-group the center group is mostly unused but it gives two people a little elbow room.

I have a Compak K10 at home, and think it makes a nice shop grinder w/o spending a ton.

Yes, you can serve 50-100 cups a day with one group Aurelia. But if you are a coffee shop, you should get 2 or 3 group machine. You just don't want customers to wait longer then they have to.

boltdaddy

Oct 10, 2013
sunnyside new york
Visit site
Yes, you can serve 50-100 cups a day with one group Aurelia. But if you are a coffee shop, you should get 2 or 3 group machine. You just don't want customers to wait longer then they have to.
thank you so much for reply.
i have more questions. so then, should i get 1 group instead of 2 or 3? later upgrade?
what about semi automatic?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
We all have our opinions, but I do speak with a lot of experience on this topic. I've had the pleasure of using several high end commercial 2 and 3 group machines. Owned and used a 2 group NS Aurelia commercially for 2.5-3 years and highly recommend it. It is a heat exchange machine, but Nuova Simonelli really mastered temperature control with this machine. Whether it sits for 5 mins or 1 hour there is no need to do any cooling flushes as is typical with most HX (heat exchange) machines. People can say what they want, but I did fairly extensive tinkering/testing and the machine was always extremely consistent. I've extracted from both groups while steaming with both wands (all at once) and it never dropped below 1 bar on boiler pressure. It constantly recovered and always kept up with any demand I put on it. What I really appreciated was the lever style steam valves... much better control than any knob style valve I've used. No telling how many thousands of drinks I created with it and only maintenance was preventive maintenance items, such as group gaskets, group screens and a steam wand seal rebuild from articulating so much.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
We all have our opinions, but I do speak with a lot of experience on this topic. I've had the pleasure of using several high end commercial 2 and 3 group machines. Owned and used a 2 group NS Aurelia commercially for 2.5-3 years and highly recommend it. It is a heat exchange machine, but Nuova Simonelli really mastered temperature control with this machine. Whether it sits for 5 mins or 1 hour there is no need to do any cooling flushes as is typical with most HX (heat exchange) machines. People can say what they want, but I did fairly extensive tinkering/testing and the machine was always extremely consistent. I've extracted from both groups while steaming with both wands (all at once) and it never dropped below 1 bar on boiler pressure. It constantly recovered and always kept up with any demand I put on it. What I really appreciated was the lever style steam valves... much better control than any knob style valve I've used. No telling how many thousands of drinks I created with it and only maintenance was preventive maintenance items, such as group gaskets, group screens and a steam wand seal rebuild from articulating so much.

Good To see you again Mr Shadow... ;)
Always pleasure having you around.

if you have enough room around the espresso machine, you will be able to have two barista work side by side. Ofcourse three group would be nicer if you can afford it but unless you are needed , it is not necessary.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Also, don't go strictly for bells and whistles as machine performance and longevity is paramount when used commercially. There are some really good machines on the market, but look past just the name. Like the La Marzocco fan boys/girls would want you to believe that LM machines are the shiznit, when IMBHO they are no better than the Aurelia. I've used the Linea and FB/80 and both have nice build quality and performance, but the price tag and attitude from those associated with it sure as hell doesn't make it worth it. Nuova Simonelli and Cimbali (among others) make good solid performing machines that aren't over-the-top costly and will serve you well for years.