ISO repeatable good cuppa

BrightHawk

Oct 11, 2013
Denver, CO, USA
Visit site
Help! Newbie poster here.

Long story: In the past 7 years (since I moved to Colorado), I've gone through the basic drip brewer (Mr. Coffee), a Senseo, 2 Keurigs and a Capresso steam machine, all in search of my perfect cup of rich, full-bodied, smooth (not bitter) almost espresso ... at an affordable price. I liked the Senseo with it's crema, but I want a BIG mug (12-16 ounces), with cream. The Keurigs didn't produce a big enough serving and the brew is closer to drip than espresso. I like the steam machine, but it's about to die also. (I recognize the signs.) I also have a good burr grinder, so I can grind the beans as needed ... no worries there.

I'm thinking of getting away from the 'machines' and going to a moka pot or brikka. I've watched videos and done a bit of comparison. I don't really understand why there's such a difference in price between comparable sizes, and the brikka seems to be harder to find in local stores. Also, I have an Aeropress, which produces a nice smooth cup, but it goes cold so quickly! (Frustrating.)

I'm looking for recommendations on the moka versus brikka. Anyone here tried both? Have a preference?

Kind regards.

I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. Bruce Lee

Scareyourpassenger

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't see the aeropress in your list. It is as close yo espresso that you can get without a more serious machine. It is more manual but it allows that perfect control over water temperature that effects the bitterness of the cup.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Bitterness comes from the oil in coffee. Also yes, burnt coffee. If you brew coffee between 190-205, you won't have problem. But again, I never had aeropress being bitter. When you are using aeropress, make sure you pour the brewed coffee in proper container to keep it warm.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Bitterness comes from the oil in coffee.

And over-extraction. That's why people get poor results from a press pot when paired w/ a blade grinder; there are too many too-tiny particles from the beans that got ground first and longer than the beans that got ground last, and the too-tiny particles over extract.

@BrightHawk; have you considered an Espro press? They're pricey, but will give you the volume and full-bodied brew you're looking for. My first thought is stay away from anything that uses a paper filter, as that greatly reduces the coffee oils in the cup and therefore the sensation of body and mouthfeel.

BrightHawk

Oct 11, 2013
Denver, CO, USA
Visit site
Thank you all for your input. I will look into the Espro press - I haven't heard of it before. I've watched the YouTube videos, even one which does a side by side of the moka and brikka. I think I'll tinker a bit longer with the Aeropress to see if I can work out the kinks.

I also stumbled across something called the Forever Miss Combi Duo that can make espresso or cappuccino all in one pot. Looks intriguing ... and I do love my cappuccinos.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Yes the Forever Miss Combi Duo looks interesting.

There were mixed reviews of it on the Amazon website. Some people loved using it and some people weren't happy with it.

If you decide to buy the Forever Miss Combi Duo, please let us know how you like using it.

Rose

BrightHawk

Oct 11, 2013
Denver, CO, USA
Visit site
Here's my follow up: I decided to go for the Forever Miss Combi Duo. I received it yesterday. It seemed smaller than I expected, but apparently it's big enough! Last night I ran the three 'throw out' batches as recommended, so it would be ready for my cappuccino this morning.

As of this afternoon, I've made two pots of cappuccino, and I must say I'm quite happy with the little pot! It claims to make two cups/servings, but that would be the typical demi cups. This little pot makes the perfect mug for my morning brew ... the cappuccino just fills my favorite glass coffee mug! I'm very happy!

Worth noting: you have to be careful not to overfill either the boiler section (bottom, where the water goes), the coffee grounds, or the top section (with milk), as overfilling will cause problems (discovered on my second pot). I'll be tinkering a while to figure out the best grind; too fine a grind and the mesh filter gets a bit clogged. I used 2% milk and got a lovely foam, both times (unlike what one of the Amazon reviewers claimed). Also, it's best to clean the pot out as soon as it cools enough to handle, especially after cappuccino, as the milk residue needs to be cleaned out quickly to avoid leaving any yuckiness behind. It's easy to assemble and break down with each brew.

I can't speak on the espresso brew as I always drink my coffee with milk. The 'throw out' batches did not have any crema, but they were made with half the normal amount of coffee, strictly for priming the pot, per the instructions.

So far, I'm very pleased and I look forward to a decadent cappuccino every morning! If you love cappuccino as much as I do, I would recommend this ingenious little pot! For less than $40, I consider it money well spent!

Cheers!

coffeemitch

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I really like my Brikka although they are more expensive, for me it's definitely worth it. Plus I got it at a highly reduced price through an offer on voucherbox.co.uk so it turned out to be an excellent deal.

Cheers,
Mitch

Last edited:

BrightHawk

Oct 11, 2013
Denver, CO, USA
Visit site
I really like my Brikka although they are more expensive, for me it's definitely worth it.

I looked at the Brikka, but the cost was prohibitive for me. Although the Combi Duo occasionally fails, it usually only requires a more thorough cleaning of the SAFE valve. So far, with proper care and use, I've been very pleased with the Combi Duo. I am concerned it will eventually fail irreparably because the threads where the top screws onto the bottom are starting to show signs of wear. I have to screw it tighter to avoid leakage. It's only aluminum, so the metal is relatively soft. When it does fail completely, I will probably go for the Brikka, unless a larger, stainless steel version of the Combi Duo is available when that time comes.

Have I said how MUCH I really really really love having cappuccino every morning? :-D

Cheers!