Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by tweezak View Post

I'm searching for a replacement and am getting increasingly dismayed and frustrated. Nobody seems to make anything reliable anymore. I would consider the Technivorm but the carafe size is too small. I need to fill a 32oz thermos and a 16oz cup before heading out to work. Our Krups just barely did that with a little left over for my wife. A 12 cup model would be perfect. If I can't find anything else I will probably get the Technivorm and let my wife cook a partial pot after I leave for work.
    Technivorm has a 64oz model with thermal carafe called the Grand. Not cheap, but maybe what your looking for

Link - Technivorm Grand Coffee Maker with Thermal Carafe | Williams-Sonoma

Super Moderator
    Hello "tweezak"

Welcome to the coffee Forums website.

Maybe you should get a new Cuisinart Grind and Brew 12 cup model. The old one that you bought at the yard sale probably was on it's last leg when you bought it. it. I bet the grinder was pretty worn down and tired, and it probably needs a new charcoal filter too. The new ones are much better.

Rose

A coffee customer of mine uses two Clever Coffee Drippers simultaneously, dripping into two thermoses he takes to work. Not quite the same convenience of an auto-drip, but close to it, and it would give you the volume you want. More importantly to some, it should give you an improvement in flavor as you get to control the brew parameters more closely.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRose View Post
    Hello "tweezak"

Welcome to the coffee Forums website.

Maybe you should get a new Cuisinart Grind and Brew 12 cup model. The old one that you bought at the yard sale probably was on it's last leg when you bought it. it. I bet the grinder was pretty worn down and tired, and it probably needs a new charcoal filter too. The new ones are much better.

Rose
    Thanks, Rose. The Cuisinart grinds fine but the cleanup is a huge pain. The steam from the brewing process fills the grinder mechanism coating it with coffee mud. The biggest problem with the coffee maker seems to be the way the water is put on the grounds. When you take the gold filter out there is a bare spot at the bottom where the water has flushed all the grounds out of the way. If we use more grounds (5 scoops!) this doesn't happen but again I feel like I'm wasting coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by peterjschmidt View Post
    A coffee customer of mine uses two Clever Coffee Drippers simultaneously, dripping into two thermoses he takes to work. Not quite the same convenience of an auto-drip, but close to it, and it would give you the volume you want. More importantly to some, it should give you an improvement in flavor as you get to control the brew parameters more closely.
    Those are cool but I think it would be more hassle than my wife would want to deal with. I may still get one though. I think I'm leaning toward the Bodum Columbia SS 51oz press. It costs nearly as much as a quality electric though which is kind of hard to justify given what it is.

Good news if you're near a JC Penney and they still have some stock left; there has been a falling out between Penney and Bodum, and all things Bodum are being cleared out at 70% or more. I saw both sizes of the Bodum Columbia today marked down to $25 and $33. There's also a new double-walled s.s. press pot, but didn't catch the price. They have a nice-looking auto-drip w/ a thermal carafe as well.

I stocked up on a ton of stuff for gifts and customers; their conical burr grinder, selling for $108 on Amazon was $39. Glasses, press-pots, siphon brewers, travel mugs, small appliances, glasses, utensils... very good prices.

Super Moderator
    Hi again"tweezak"

Did you see the message from peterjschmidt about JC Penney's clearance on Bodum items? If you have a JC Penney nearby, it sounds like it would be worth a trip to the store to see what they have left. Not everyone who tries using a French Press likes it. It would be great if you could get one at a reduced price, especially if your wife gets tired of cleaning out the grounds after using the French Press and wants to switch to something else.

Rose

I find that the press pot has two drawbacks - not the easiest clean-up and disposal of grounds, also they need a good quality grinder rather than a weedwhacker blade grinder - but the advantage of being able to control the water temp and amount of time the grinds are exposed to water make it a great way to brew in my opinion.

I've had nothing but good experience with the Curtis Cafe brewers. The office I work in has one and I brew with it daily. It's got a 2L thermal caraf and it's all metal built and can handle commercial use. For a 15A 120V pour over brewer it brews really fast! 2-4 min. The cost of the model we have (Cafe0pp) where I work is around $250 but for a commercial brewer this is pennies compared to the big ones which go for closer to $1,000. The reservoir is a 6 L so you won't have temp stability issues either. The footprint is 17.5" x 16.5" x 9". Bit bigger than your traditional brewer but small for a commercial one. Hope this helps.

Links:
    Curtis Cafe0pp

Curtis Brewers

Have you looked at the Bonavita? A friend uses it and loves it.
    First Look :: Bonavita versus Technivorm | Clive Coffee Blog

I use a Coava stainless steel cone with a Chemex everyday, worth the time,
    awesome results!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links