Unleash the comments!!!!

Gmbaltrusitis

Oct 22, 2013
Long Island, NY
Visit site
I have been lurking and surfing here and the net, reading reviews and trying to decide on an espresso machine. My first choice was the Rancilio V3 and pair it with a decent grinder, yet to be decided on. It would have to be a burr grinder (duh!!)

My next choice is a Pasquini Livietta T2 Espresso Machine. With a burr grinder. So now I ask you, the denizens of the the coffee underworld, am I headed in the correct direction or is there something out there I should be looking into. I do not want a cheap machine and replace it in a year or two. So I humbly ask for some guidance on what and where to go. New or used? Thank Goodness I have Giorgios Roasters locally and can pick up some fresh roasted coffee when I make the plunge. All this because my friend gave me a Krups espresso maker and foot surgery, love my coffee but truly realized how much I was missing out after I came home from my vacation to Italy last year.
so can you help a brother out??

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Being too lazy to go search for those machines and see what they sell for, what's your total budget for the machine and grinder?

Will you be drinking mainly straight espresso, or making milk drinks?

Will you be entertaining and need to produce several drinks in rapid succession?

Will you be placing the machine where you can plumb it in?

Gmbaltrusitis

Oct 22, 2013
Long Island, NY
Visit site
If I can keep the budget under 1200.00 dollars that would be my goal.
i prefer not to plumb it if I do not have to. I can do anything like that as I work with pipe all the time.
I am mainly espresso but the wife would be cappuccinos and lattes.
I do entertain heavily but if they are going to want a load of drinks, which the Silvio would be hard pressed to do, that type of entertaining isn't every weekend with twenty people at the house. Holidays are the big eventsif the machine could produce for six people that would be great.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I would purchase silvia but I would put PID

Rancilio Silvia Espresso Machine | eBay this is always been my favorite. Because of the price and parts availability

Digital PID Temperature Controller for Kiln Furnace Oven Espresso Coffee Machine | eBay install this if you are handy with machines

New 1 Group Espresso Cappuccino Machine Great Deal | eBay this is one group commercial machine.

I would go with commercial grade machine if you don't mind spending little extra but Silvia is great value. However, there are other recommendation if you search this site. I would do little further search before settling on one.

Good Luck

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Grinder first.
Machine second.

The grinder is the single most important piece of your brewing arsenal. Just because it is a burr grinder does not mean it's good for espresso. Without an appropriate grinder, the machine does not matter. Research and spend wisely!

Look on the buy/sell forums of Home-Barista and CoffeeGeek. You will get the best bang for your buck there from enthusiasts who keep their machines in tip-top condition.

Gmbaltrusitis

Oct 22, 2013
Long Island, NY
Visit site
Well I bit the bullet.
Ordered the Baratza Vario grinder and the Rancilio Silvia V3
hope to have it this Wednesday. Best advice I thought I received today, buy a practice bag of beans to play with.
Any other tips you guys have would be appreciated. Now, :? What beans to purchase????

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
The Vario is a fantastic grinder that is very capable for any grind method. I wouldn't waste money on practice coffee as old/stale coffee won't help you get things dialed in. Buy fresh quality coffee to start and you will be chasing your tail less. Those that recommend going that route know little about coffee as it doesn't take dozens of shots to dial in a setup. If it does then those people need another hobby.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
The Vario is a fantastic grinder that is very capable for any grind method. I wouldn't waste money on practice coffee as old/stale coffee won't help you get things dialed in. Buy fresh quality coffee to start and you will be chasing your tail less. Those that recommend going that route know little about coffee as it doesn't take dozens of shots to dial in a setup. If it does then those people need another hobby.

That's great advice; shots pulled with older/stale coffee will run too fast so you'll grind finer and finer. Then when you switch to the fresh beans you actually want to drink, your shots will choke the machine or pull way to slow.

In my opinion, the idea of breaking in the burrs on a new grinder doesn't hold much water either.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Most people consider practice coffee old/stale.

As long as freshly roasted espresso bean, you will be fine.
I also like my espresso beans roasted little light to get little more complex flavor. Unless I am making Cappuccino or latte.

I am sure with your purchase, you will enjoy great coffee for many years to come. And you will never go back to those national chain espresso.

Gmbaltrusitis

Oct 22, 2013
Long Island, NY
Visit site
I purchased some Kenya AA arabica beans, not making an espresso shot as I wanted, but man those fresh ground beans taste pretty awesome. Need to get some decaf beans otherwise my heart may pop out of my chest with all the test shots I am making. Unfortunately the tamper came broken from shipping. I am going to need a load of different things to go with the machine and grinder. Any ideas? I am going to need a frothing thermometer, I have a pitcher.