Help ID an espresso machine

Beans0063

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking at a 'Sigma' machine from CraigsList and can't find anything online about this brand. Does anyone know anything about this machine - perhaps it's been re-labeled?

Seller says "It is a 220v Sigma Italian made espresso machine".

sigma2.jpg

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
first of all, why are you trying to find info on this machine? Are you trying to buy it? If you are, what is the price on the machine? I am asking because if the parts are not available, it would not be wise to purchase and used machines are very inexpensive these days.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Most likely it's just a re-badged 'something or other'. If you can find a serial plate on it, you may find out who the manufacturer was.

You'll want to ask the same questions as if you were buying a used car; who did the maintenance, what maintenance has it recently had, etc. And then, like CJ says, look to find out how readily available the parts are. And maybe leave room in your budget for aspirin, because it could well turn into a major headache.

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
Great advice from CJ and Peter. I learned my lesson well years ago, when I purchased a Conti 2grp, and an older Faema 2grp. Both had ruptured heat exchangers
in the boilers(stored with water in them,water froze, hence, I was looking at scrap or parting out parts. Yes, you could purchase new boilers(quoted $600-$800.00).I paid $480 for both machines. Decided against the new boilers. I would recommend seeing the machine plugged in, plumbed in, and operational before shelling out the coin. Cleaning, small leaks from gaskets and washers most often are easy fixes. I noticed in your pic, the left knob for steam wand is missing. Does he have theportafilters for the machine? Finding them could be another bottle of aspirin(if you could find them!). Be cautious on this considered purchase.

Beans0063

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all for the advice. This was offered at a price that's probably too good to be true ($200) so staying cautious is probably the best course of action. At the moment the seller has stopped responding, so it looks like this deal probably has fallen through.

I'm now looking at another listing, this time for a Unic Torino. The seller just had a new pump professionally installed, but the machine is leaking and the he says it needs new seals. If you have any thoughts on this model or what I might be in for to stop the leaking it'd be much appreciated.

00707_icCedioFy6M_600x450.jpg 00c0c_7Mx78F5KiIb_600x450.jpg 00T0T_6j435BOHshb_600x450.jpg

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Professional is a term that is WAY overused in most trades. Main difference between a pro and amateur is the pro gets paid, not much more. It sure doesn't imply they are great at what they do. Also, because someone has certification doesn't mean jack squat either as it doesn't guarantee they will follow the protocol used to train them. I've seen very few in any trade that I would consider professional in their actual work detail or customer service.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
There are saying you get what you paid for.
I don't know what the reason for bring up junk espresso machine.
These are all belong in someone garage to collect dust or use it for parts.
If you are looking for espresso machine for your store, you are making big mistakes.
But if you are looking for something to play around your home, get something you can easily get parts for.
200 dollar espresso machine will work as 200 dollars espresso machine. And for home use, you might want to get something smaller and easy to work with.

CoffeeLovers

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes that’s true, why bother yourself in acquiring such considered junk and obsolete machine. If it could not be found, it means it is not doing well. With due respect with the brand of this machine, I say obsolete because it can’t be found.

You again consider another used machine that has no leaking condition according to the owner. Can you not find any used machine that has no problem such as leaking? Why not the owner of that machine reconditions first before disposing it to another user? It is suspicious that the machine was giving headaches on the previous owner, thus he decided to dispose it.