Need Advice: New to Brewing (Gift)

djtech2k

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello.

I am writing to hopefully get some guidance on buying an Espresso machine. This machine will be for a gift for my wife, who loves to drink coffee. Now I do not think she has ever had espresso, so it is a bit of a gamble, but I know she enjoys occasional drinks from coffee shops like a Latte.

We primarily use a Cuisinart Keurig coffee machine now because she is the coffee drinker, so the single servings work well. The simplicity and the many choices of the K-Cups also work well for us.

I would like to get an espresso machine for her for Christmas. I know very little, so that's why I am here. I have looked very briefly at a local store to see what options are available. I saw the Keurig Rivo and several others, but I know almost nothing about them. I would like to get her a nice machine that is easy to use, but also versatile. So for example, she may or may not like drinking espresso but I would like her to be able to make different types of drinks easily.

I am sure the different types and brands of machines have advantages and disadvantages, so hopefully you experts here can help me figure that out.

I know budget is definitely a factor. I really do not know how much I need to spend to get what I need, but I will throw out a max budget number of around $300. Now that is not set in stone at all and I am all for saving a buck :) , but I don't mind paying a little more for the right machine. Obviously we are not espresso "experts", so I know that machines like $1000 are WAY out of my league.

Now with all that said, what would you guys suggest? Style? Brand? What do I need to know?

Thanks in advance!

Gmbaltrusitis

Oct 22, 2013
Long Island, NY
Visit site
As a relatively new espresso machine owner, the grinder is more important than the machine. My grinder cost more than your budget. Please research the web and these forums. You will learn a lot but please be patient and do not purchase something that you will end up replacing in a year or two.

Greg

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "djtech2K"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

Since you said that you don't think your wife has ever had espresso, I'm wondering how you know that she'll like having an espresso machine. Has she mentioned wanting one?

The Keurig Rivo isn't a real espresso machine, but it sounds like it may be something that your wife would like.

The price varies on the Keurig RIVO, depending on where you buy it.

It's gotten some pretty good ratings on the QVC website.
Keurig RIVO Brewer ? QVC.com

If your wife has shown an interest in exploring some new Keurig models, the Rivo machine is a gift worth considering, especially since you're running out of time. Christmas will be here before you know it.

Rose

djtech2k

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I am now comparing the Rivo and the Lattissima plus. I had another nespresso machine referred to me but I cannot remember it. I am just looking for a machine that will be easy to use and produce good results.