choosing a brewing temp.

Spice

May 12, 2012
So. California
Visit site
I just bought a Brazen brew system. It has a choice of brewing temp of 190-210f.
What factores are taken in to consideration when choosing a temp?:espressomachine:

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
Those temps seem to be the opinion of most coffee techs, baristas, and connoisseurs.
How those brewing temps came about(lab science, I assume)
I like to brew at 205*, so it will be serve at 195-200*. I use a Fetco brewer, temp set at 205*.
If you were brewing in a insulated carafe or dispenser, 195*, would be fine.
Maybe some of those techs will chime in. Interesting new thread.

Zimmy

Dec 19, 2013
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Our fetco is set to 200ºF at our shop... 195ºF-205ºF is the sweet spot... Not having any experience with this product the question I have is how stable is the temp within the brew bed? If you have a high rate of heat loss you'd have to set it higher to maintain a bed over 195ºF... Very minimal heat loss would allow you to be down in the mid to high 190s for your setting... It looks like a plastic brew basket so my inclination is the previous...

I also take water quality into consideration when looking at temperature... My general findings (with limited experimentation) are the higher the particulate PPM of the water the cooler the temperature I use and vise-versa...

In the specs it also says it has "altitude correction" this may be something that makes temperature a little more difficult to dial in...

Cheers!
Chris Zimmerman
Co-Owner/Operator Ellipsis Coffeehouse