Know of any tricks to clean these old style coffee spouts?

Bob_E

Dec 14, 2013
Michigan
Visit site
The one on the left (I think it's called a dripolator, or maybe that is just a brand name?) is old and pre owned. The only part that I can't really get clean is the spout. This caused me to investigate my walmart special percolator on the right. I've only had it for about a month and it's already caked in old coffee stains. I just don't have anything that will fit in there to scrub with.

IMG_0597.JPG

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello Bob_E

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

Have you soaked your pots in coffee urn cleaner? You can buy it at most local stores in the coffee aisle, or you can buy it on line. You'll need to fill the pots all the way up with hot water/cleaner to be sure the solution gets into the spout area. Then, just let it soak for a while. (maybe overnight)

Have you ever heard of Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponge? They clean all sorts of things, and coffee pots are no exception. You can cut off a strip from the sponge and maneuver it into the spout and twist it around to help rub off the dark coffee stains. You just need to be sure you rinse the pot out a few times before using it again.

If you happen to have a turkey baster/cleaning brush set, the brush is a great tool for getting into small spouts. You can see what it looks like here: OXO Good Grips Turkey Baster with Cleaning Brush : Amazon.com : Kitchen & Dining

I hope this helps.

Rose

Bob_E

Dec 14, 2013
Michigan
Visit site
Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for the urn cleaner and eraser sponge. I did try a brush meant for cleaning baby bottles. Looks similar to the one in the picture. It helped but both the bristles and handle were too wimpy, and the metal handle sticks out about 1/8" past the bristles keeping the bristles from getting to the bottom of the spout. I bent the bristle part into a V shape, then it was too wide to fit into the bottom and the bristles started falling out :coffee:

Latest posts