New grinder recomendation

janry

Dec 16, 2013
Nashville, TN
Visit site
I need some recommendations for a new grinder. First, I currently have a 6 year-old Krups GVX burr grinder. Dang thing won't die! My issue with it is I get too much dust and fine grindings when I set it for medium to coarse grinds.

Here are my needs for a new grinder:

I will only be grinding for a Chemex pot and French press. No espresso.

Size. It needs to be on the small size as our kitchen is small with limited counter space. I have to put it up after each use. The Capresso Infinity would seem a good fit for my space limitation.

I usually grind only once a day. Never more than two times. I only grind enough for 3-5 cups each grinding.

I want quality grinder but costs should be reasonable for my limited use.

I'm leaning to a manual grinder like a Zassenhaus but have no experience with one so I'd really like thoughts on using one daily.

EDIT TO ADD: Does anyone have any experience with these manual grinders?

http://texascoffeegrinders.com/

They look cool but I don't get a good feeling about their quality.

Last edited:

Zimmy

Dec 19, 2013
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I would second the recommendation for the Baratza Encore... They are a great product, I even sell them in my shop... I've had my Baratza at home for 4 years now and it grinds just as good as it did when I bought it USED!...

I have heard good reviews about the Capresso Infinity, but I've never actually used one...
Do not buy the Cuisinart Supreme... It's super static-y...

If you're worried about size constraints and want to go manual I would recommend looking at one of the following options:

Hario Skerton
Hario Mini mill
Porlex JP-30
Porlex Mini

I've tinkered with all of them and they do a great job... However, the issue I have found with hand grinders is that you don't have a completely consistent crank rate and this can lead to a wider variance of particle size than you will see in a motorized grinder such as the Encore...

I have a grinder similar to the ones in the Texas Coffee Grinders link, and while they are pretty, the one I have doesn't perform well enough for me to use... But I have no experience with ones specifically from Texas Coffee Grinder Company so this is just stylistic speculation...

Good luck in your shopping around!

Cheers!
Chris Zimmerman
Co-Owner/Operator Ellipsis Coffeehouse
Chicago IL

janry

Dec 16, 2013
Nashville, TN
Visit site
Thanks guys. The Encore is on my list to consider. After watching some videos with various hand grinders, I've decided I don't want to fool with one for daily use.

I just found and watched this video of a comparison test that includes the Encore and the Infinity with a coarse grind.

Compare: Entry Level Grinders - YouTube

I'd love to test the two of them with my favorite coffee and the Chemex.