Coffee machine buying nooooob

Puddings

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Hello All,

I'm currently in the advanced stages of setting up a cafe in Nottingham City centre (England). I'm an experienced hospitality individual who has worked with a few coffee machines. However this is my first business and my first time in buying one. I've never really taken too much notice of the machines i used other that a Marissa Costa Coffee one.

I've been offered this below and i really just wanted some advice as to whether i could spend my money better on another machine/deal.

Regards
Anthony

Coffee Machine and Ancillary Items

La Spazialle S2 3 Group EK – to include a 2 years PARTS ONLY warranty.
Astro 12 Manual Doser Grinder
Knockout box
Installation
Water filter
Total Price £3440.00 + VAT Coffee Machine and Ancillary Items

terracotti

Jan 3, 2014
CA
Visit site
I hope you know how to maintain them, as they require usual maintenance which could cost you if you bring someone. Also it needs at least weekly cleaning too.

Last edited:

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Not a good machine.

UK... go with LaMarzocco (any) or Nuova Simonelli (the Aurelia line only).
The price difference is well worth it, and will save you thousands in the long run.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Yea, not a good value based on the quality and performance of a La Spazialle.

Really? My first machine (adjusting for currency rate) was about £6350 and my current one on order is going to be approx £10350. Both were 2 group as well. I don't think it's necessary to drop £10000 on a machine, but you really can't buy a good 2 group for less than £6000 today, unless it's used.

When it comes to espresso machines, you pay for quality, consistency, and customization. The first two are always worth the money, the last is because you've earned it.

While we're at it, don't skimp on your grinder either. That's just as, if not more, important.

So if you are serious about the sourcing, freshness, and quality of the beverages you prepare, buy a top quality machine. If you do not care about the quality and freshness of beans, nor understanding all the specifics that go into making a great espresso, then it really doesn't matter, buy anything with a boiler and a group head.

In my experience, it's better to care.

And if you haven't, take a train ride to Prufrock -
23-25 Leather Ln, London EC1N 7TE, UK or to any of the good espresso/coffee bars in the London area (sorry, not familiar with anyone right close to you). See what the best places are using, and find out why.

Best of luck!

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
Starting a new business cash is always tight so have you considered leasing a machine? I see 150 to 200 Euros or so per month for a new machine which includes service. Two years and contract expires. Re-up and they give you a new machine. Check out Watermark.ie for some guidelines and I think they are also in the U.K. as well. Great folks. They do Gaggia exclusively but there are similar programs from other vendors if you're not a Gaggia lover.

Puddings

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Great thanks for your time,

so if we don't have a La Mazocca or Nuova Simonelli (the Aurelia line only) then every other machine is mediocre?

Regards
Anthony

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Anthony,

expat may be right. In your situation, perhaps leasing is a good idea. There are places in the UK that lease LaMarzocco as well. Looks like from about 52-60GBP per week for a 2 group. It may give you the ability to use a machine that you consider out of your budget at this time.

Be warned, my response is wordy!

Coffee shops use many machines. There are really only a few that ought to be used. In the UK, Dalla Corte is also a very stable machine. There may be other options in the UK that are not available over here in the states, but the top machines are still the top machines worldwide. These other machines are not horrible, but I certainly would not spend my hard earned money on them. They sell because they are a cheaper alternative. And they are cheaper for a reason. In the long run, it's going to hurt your bottom line.

Your best best is a well cared for Semi-Auto LaMarzzoco Linea. The older ones do not have PID but are pretty damn stable.

OR find a solid Lever machine and go old school!

I don't know what you are spending to open your shop. But to do it right is the US, we would plan on $85 to $100K minimum. The difference between $6K and $12K for a machine is nickels and dimes when it's the center of your entire operation. Many new owners make the huge mistake of buying the lowest priced machines they can find. This is a horrible idea. Obviously, you should purchase what you want, but purchase based on quality and reputation of machine, availability of service, and personal preference after that. Don't purchase based on price as your main criteria. YOU should know what machines are quality and why. Find, based on your research, what is the best machines, and then get the best price you can for the one you want. And don't take my word for it. Travel a bit. Go to several of the top coffee/espresso shops in traveling distance. See what they are using and why. TASTE the espresso. Perhaps some are using the same espresso and different machines. Therefore different results. Which is better to your taste? In the end, your taste is the one that matters, but base it on first hand knowledge. It will be time well spent.

If your cash is so tight that the a few thousand GBP makes a difference, you should really save some more money before opening. If you have extra money but wish to preserve the bulk of it for cash flow, then do as expat suggests and look at all of your lease options. You can always purchase down the road.

And remember, the best machine without great coffee and a skilled barista will not matter. So practice, practice, practice. I've been pulling shots for nearly 12 years, and I am still learning how to improve.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited: