Any espresso machine suggestion?

coffeeman88

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and I am quite new to making espresso. I have a nescafe machine which uses capsules to brew coffee. The taste is alright until one day, I tried the espresso that my friend and it really blew my mind. The machine he used was quite expensive so it will not be my choice. Are there any good espresso machine out there for beginner like me and not too expensive? Found a machine which is a delonghi eco310 - I think the price is ok for me. Has anyone used that machine before? Is it any good?

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
No. Not a good machine. It's what anyone who wants to make espresso would call a toy. Don't waste your money.

If you are really budget minded, the best low price starter machine would be the Gaggia Baby, normally $400, you can get one for under $200 refurbished HERE. It has a full size portafilter, good size heating element, easy to use.

I am not sure what you want to spend, but my recommendation would actually be something like the with Quick Mill Alexia PID. A much better value, even though it will run you an extra $1000.

The most important element in your brewing arsenal is the grinder.
So if you do not already have a proper adjustable burr grinder that is suitable for espresso (not just coffee), then plan accordingly. If your budget is small, go with something like a Baratza Vario and the Gaggia Baby. Otherwise, get the Vario (the lowest priced espresso grinder I would recommend to anyone) and save until you can afford a decent machine.

It doesn't matter how good your espresso machine is, if you don't have a proper adjustable burr grinder with sharp burrs and properly roasted fresh beans, nothing can save your espresso.

mawil1013

Jan 25, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
Like I wrote to another poster, I've been using a De'Longhi EC155 for a few years now and I'm happy with it, can be found on Amazon for $70 new, also, do a Google search for Cutlery and More CG-100 Burr Grinder which is running on clearance right now for $15, mine has been in use at home for 3 months now and the grind is spectacular for espresso. I'm actually on my second EC155, the old one I took into where I work and the new one is at home. Unless you want all automatic this unit is makes a really good espresso with creama.

Gmbaltrusitis

Oct 22, 2013
Long Island, NY
Visit site
Like I found out when I posted the same question, what is your budget?? A good grinder is more important than an espresso machine. I scoffed at that, but alas the other members proved me incorrect. Then they told me.....I had to buy coffee from local roasters or reputable roasters online....I scoffed at that. They proved me wrong as well. What I did was this. I purchased a Rancilio Silvia and a Baratza Vario. It was approximately 1000.00. That being said it took me over a month to dial in a good shot. PM me if you want to talk further.

Greg

mawil1013

Jan 25, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
Like I found out when I posted the same question, what is your budget?? A good grinder is more important than an espresso machine. I scoffed at that, but alas the other members proved me incorrect. Then they told me.....I had to buy coffee from local roasters or reputable roasters online....I scoffed at that. They proved me wrong as well. What I did was this. I purchased a Rancilio Silvia and a Baratza Vario. It was approximately 1000.00. That being said it took me over a month to dial in a good shot. PM me if you want to talk further.

Greg

My set up works for me because I always make mocha lattes. If I was doing espresso I'd probably be able to note the fine differences everyone is speaking of. But I would not hesitate to strongly suggest to someone just starting out to go with a similar set up like mine before dropping $1000 +, unless they have money burning a hole in their pocket. Part of my set up was to purchase freshly roasted beans from a local coffee shop but they went out of business so I'm searching for a replacement at this time.

jnsellison

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
My set up works for me because I always make mocha lattes. If I was doing espresso I'd probably be able to note the fine differences everyone is speaking of. But I would not hesitate to strongly suggest to someone just starting out to go with a similar set up like mine before dropping $1000 +, unless they have money burning a hole in their pocket. Part of my set up was to purchase freshly roasted beans from a local coffee shop but they went out of business so I'm searching for a replacement at this time.
So, how many shots per pound could be expected from various machines. I would assume these would be the same so would one base price on cost per shot or can the difference be justified by maintenance free operation or better regulation and quality. As it is said "You get what you pay for", does this apply here?

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
So, how many shots per pound could be expected from various machines. I would assume these would be the same so would one base price on cost per shot or can the difference be justified by maintenance free operation or better regulation and quality. As it is said "You get what you pay for", does this apply here?

"You get what you pay for" definitely applies here.

Maintanence-free doesn't apply here; you should anticipate repairs. How long a machine lasts between repairs will vary, but that too is a crap-shoot. Who will do the service, how easy is it to work on if you want to be the one to work on it, how readily available are the parts, etc. are all good questions.

How enjoyable is the machine to work with, and how repeatable the results are is important too. How will the machine be used; straight espresso, milk drinks, for one person, a couple, parties? I don't do carpentry/home-repair for a living, but I buy the same tools 'they' use, not mainly because they will last longer, but a good well-designed tool is a pleasure to use; a Chinese-made hammer drill from Harbor Freight might last me the six times I'll use it in my life, but a nice Milwaukee hammer drill will make the job easier.

The question for anyone dabbling with the idea of espresso should really ask themselves 'why?'. Have they had really good espresso, and like it, or is it simply the idea that intrigues them. If a person genuinely knows what great shots can taste like and wants that in their home, then they need to be prepared to spend some serious money to do it. My theory is always to spend more than I think necessary so that I buy a machine that is more capable than my skillset and then grow into it, rather than spend less and find out that it won't perform the way I'd like, and then take a big hit on the drop in value to sell it and buy the equipment I should have bought in the first place.

Sasha123

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
The best choice will be la marzocco espresso machine were I am using this machine for over 3 years till now I didn't feel any thing bad about this machine. And I think your budget will also suits it. If you are interested in buying that you can contact any la marzocco distributor in your area.

Surfer

Jun 18, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Visit site
The best choice will be la marzocco espresso machine were I am using this machine for over 3 years till now I didn't feel any thing bad about this machine. And I think your budget will also suits it. If you are interested in buying that you can contact any la marzocco distributor in your area.
Uhhh either your spamming, or your half brained dumb..., he's looking at a $200 machine, and your gonna suggest he look at La Marzocco b/c it fits his budget, machines that goes for $6k+ fit his budget of a $200 machine.... LOL. nevermind he said good for a beginning and not expensive lol. You obviously don't work with coffee let alone use a La Marzocco or you wouldn't have said something like that.

Last edited:

Zimmy

Dec 19, 2013
Chicago, IL
Visit site
You can get a solid setup for $600 to $1000... Cheaper if you get lucky on craigslist or find someone that is looking to upgrade their setup... I landed my Gagia evolution and a baratza maestro for $150 about 4 years ago and they are both still just as good as the first day I started them up... Obviously you need to check them out real good if you a getting used equipment... Baratza has a refurb spot on their website, check it out...

La Marzocco machines are great... I use a Linea in my shop... But they are way out of your budget as stated above...

Echoing previous statements... Invest in a grinder, it is the most important piece...

As far as the machine, it really depends on what you want out of it... Just shots or shots and solid steaming capability?

Research, research, research...

Cheers!

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
You can get a solid setup for $600 to $1000... Cheaper if you get lucky on craigslist or find someone that is looking to upgrade their setup... I landed my Gagia evolution and a baratza maestro for $150 about 4 years ago and they are both still just as good as the first day I started them up... Obviously you need to check them out real good if you a getting used equipment... Baratza has a refurb spot on their website, check it out...

La Marzocco machines are great... I use a Linea in my shop... But they are way out of your budget as stated above...

Echoing previous statements... Invest in a grinder, it is the most important piece...

As far as the machine, it really depends on what you want out of it... Just shots or shots and solid steaming capability?

Research, research, research...

Cheers!

the price range he is trying to stay is one of the tough guide line to be in "good espresso machine" But i am not saying its impossible.
I really like what John suggested. And I would never buy used espresso machine from Craigslist.
Whatever you buy, make sure its 15 bar system.

Good Luck

Surfer

Jun 18, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Visit site
the price range he is trying to stay is one of the tough guide line to be in "good espresso machine" But i am not saying its impossible.
I really like what John suggested. And I would never buy used espresso machine from Craigslist.
Whatever you buy, make sure its 15 bar system.

Good Luck
15 bar is just a marketing gimmick on low end/entry machines, they just do that to make it sound better. Espresso is brewed at 9 bar give or take.

denverjomo

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
The closest I can come to "maintenance free" is my Krups CafePresso machine (has coffee pot on one side and espresso setup on the other). This machine has been in continuous daily use since 1988! I bought it when I was overseas in the Navy. It has only had one part replaced in that time, the steam knob... I kept this machine at work and then left it there when I moved on. The friend I gave it to recently retired and gave it back to me. And just in the nick of time. My machine (a Breville 800ESXL) has been repaired twice and just started making an electrical smell and smoking in the last couple of days. I do not know if Krups uses the same (simple) technology any more, but I cannot argue with the longevity of this machine.