How does the Gaggia Syncrony Compact rate against the Jura ENA 9 One Touch?*

Thanatos09180

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
How does the Gaggia Syncrony Compact rate against the Jura ENA 9 One Touch?

I was looking for a compact, fully-auto espresso machine on a budget and came across a used Gaggia Syncrony Compact for about $200 (online auction). The machine seemed well reviewed so I bid on it and won. While still waiting for the machine, I came across the Jura ENA 9 which I seem to be able to buy refurbished for about $600. I love what I see about this machine and I regret purchasing the Gaggia now (although I am still waiting for it). However, what’s done is done. So how do these two machines rate against each other? Any feedback welcome. Thanks.

For me the absolute must haves are the built-in grinder and tamper, and ease/ quickness of clean up afterward.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "Thanatos09180"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

Have you visited any of the websites that sell these machines, such as Amazon, to read the descriptions and reviews located there?

I doubt that you'll have much success finding someone who has had experience with both machines.

You can also do your own comparison research by doing a Google search for each machine separately. Then you'll have a better understanding of the good and not-so-good features for each machine.

It's always risky buying anything from on-line auctions. I hope you'll be pleasantly surprised when the machine arrives, and maybe you'll like it enough so you'll stop shopping around for something else.

Rose

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Thanatos09180,

One wonders if you are a reader of "On a Pale Horse," but about your question...

Welcome to the world of coffee!

As PinkRose pointed out, you will have a somewhat difficult time finding reviews here and buying what is likely to be poorly maintained equipment online is always a crap shoot.

The straight answer is that both machines would not be chosen by people who actually want to make espresso. And with that, you have to disregard all reviews on Amazon, both good and bad. There is no cheap way to do espresso. And the worst bang for buck are the Super Autos. A $25,000 Super Auto can never match a skilled home barista with a $500 budget grinder and a $1500 espresso machine. There are too many variables in espresso making for a machine to account for.

But no worries. Most of us probably started with what we call "steam toys," those horrific Krups or Delonghi kind of machines... but those never made espresso, what you have is marginally better, but the reality is you learned a lesson for $200.

What you have is a very low quality grinder paired with a sub $300 espresso machine.

The lesson: You can't make espresso for a $200 investment.