Baratza Virtuoso vs. Breville Smart Grinder

Which is better for Chemex type grinds? I'm not averse to spending more if it's worth it, but I just bought the Breville for ~$171 and I can get the Baratza for ~$206. I wouldn't mind returning it if I have to, the store said it wouldn't be a problem. Thanks!

I have the Virtuoso, but have zero experience w/ the Breville. My only input is that for pourover, in fact any non-espresso method, I don't think the Virtuoso offers any improvement over Baratza's Encore. The V has a heavier base, more grind settings, and perhaps a stouter gear reduction (I would call Baratza to confirm that), but for an indistinguishable difference in the cup, I'd say save your $100 and buy an Encore.

Quote Originally Posted by peterjschmidt View Post
    I have the Virtuoso, but have zero experience w/ the Breville. My only input is that for pourover, in fact any non-espresso method, I don't think the Virtuoso offers any improvement over Baratza's Encore. The V has a heavier base, more grind settings, and perhaps a stouter gear reduction (I would call Baratza to confirm that), but for an indistinguishable difference in the cup, I'd say save your $100 and buy an Encore.
    Actually there is quite a difference, the Virtuoso uses the Preciso burr set which is much better than the Encore. The Encore is a kick ass grinder at its price range and way better than the Bodum and Infinity etc offerings. The Preciso burr set allows it better consistency and control of fines production.

I had a Smart Grinder, it's good for coarse use not espresso. But I place it just above the Encore. Virtuoso is still better primarily for the stronger motor and better burrs.

I have the smart grinder and use it daily for the Chemex. It gives a good consistent grind with little mess. But any quality grinder should be able to deliver good enough grinds for the Chemex. I do feel I got a good deal on the SG by getting a reconditioned one on Woot for just $109 + $5 shipping. I probably would have passed on the SG for the $200 new you normally see it sold for.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links