Looking for a brewing method similar to french press...

artgecko

Apr 5, 2008
Alabama
Visit site
Hello folks!

I have been a happy french press owner for close to two years now and am loving the added flavor and body using the press seems to give my coffee. Before the press, I was a lowly drip machine only person.

I'm here to ask your advice on brewing methods similar to a french press but that are easier to clean and will make coffee for one - two people. I know cleaning a press shouldn't be a hassle, but there's just something about getting the grinds out of the press and into the trash that I loath. I'd love to know of a method that is similar but uses either paper filters or a grind repository that can
easily be dumped in the trash (but doesn't compromise flavor or cup quality).

I do have a (cheap) espresso machine as well, but have found it tedious to use, so if there are any other methods you could recommend, that would be great.

Thank you for your advice and time!
Artgecko

janry

Dec 16, 2013
Nashville, TN
Visit site
I know cleaning a press shouldn't be a hassle, but there's just something about getting the grinds out of the press and into the trash that I loath.

A tea strainer is your friend. I just scrape out 90% of the grounds then rinse the pot and pour the water from it through the tea strainer. Really is easy.

Last edited:

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
A tea strainer is your friend. I just scrape out 90% of the grounds then rinse the press and pour the water from it through the tea strainer. Really is easy.

I something similar w/ an old gold-tone metal filter basket, and think even a fine sieve/strainer would work. I'll add a little fresh water to the spent grounds in the press pot after removing the plunger, swirl a few times and dump it all into the filter basket - let that stand in the sink for a half hour, and it's dry enough to carry to the garbage can and knock the grounds into the garbage. If it was so durned cold here, I'd dump them outside.

Zimmy

Dec 19, 2013
Chicago, IL
Visit site
The Clever Coffee Dripper is great... Combines processes of full immersion and gravity drip... If the heavier body is something you really enjoy this may not be the tool for you since it is a cone paper filter drip... I guess you could get a reusable metal filter for it to allow more particulate through... But then cleanup is still a pain...

The Eva Solo... Similar to the french press has a screen that strains the coffee as you pour rather than depressing a plunger screen... Still has same cleanup flaws at french press...

The Areopress... The most versatile brewing device out there... Probably your ticket... By manipulating the device in different ways you can alter your cup of coffee to exactly what you want... Here are a few of the many procedures possible: Recipes | World Aeropress Championships
ABLE makes a metal reusable metal filter that lets a little more particulate through...
Best part is cleanup... Push the grounds puck through the tube and rinse!...

And of course there is always the classic "coffee sock" method that works similar to a tea bag... Medium cleanup...

Cheers!

artgecko

Apr 5, 2008
Alabama
Visit site
Thanks so much for the input everyone!
Of the methods you mentioned... I think I may try the aeropress... It seems versatile and easy to clean, plus it's cheap..No harm in that. The espro press also looks nice, but the $125 price tag isn't as appealing. Hmm.. Maybe my husband can be convinced that a new coffee press would be a good valentine's day gift. :)

Surfer

Jun 18, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Visit site
Aeropress is insanely good for its price, makes an awesome cup, and if you look online (know there's a thread on coffeegeek) there are lots of tips and tricks and dialing in techniques to go off of. Clever Dripped is cool as well.