I've modified my formula.

mawil1013

Jan 25, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
I've modified my espresso formula thanks to all the members here that I've been able to glean wisdom from so far.

I was using the single shot grind basket and filling 1/3 cup which is a bit more then two ounces. The taste was, I can now say harsh.

Now I'm using the double shot grind basket, filling it as full as I can then filling a two ounce cup.

The taste is soother, fuller flavor and I like the change! (Keep in mind my goal is a good mocha latte, I'm looking for a coffee flavor with a hint of chocolate. You purists will cringe but sometimes I add an 1/4 tsp of cinnamon on top the grinds than run a shot or add raspberry to the mocha. Yum!)

I'm staying with my $50 grinder which is on sale for $15 as I believe the grind is good, I feel it is too close to true espresso grind size that I don't need to change.

I tried a new basket filling technique this morning which failed. Filled the basket half way and tamped, then topped off and tamped again. Figuring that the grind pressure would be consistent all the way through. The crema or what some of you call my pathetic foam (LOL), was actually pathetic! Almost no crema, so I say that technique is a failure and will go back to traditional method.

~Michael

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
interesting post. I am much more lazy then you. I follow the direction and make my espresso according to what everyone does. I never really thought I needed to change way i tamper or try different technique. I am impressed with your venture of finding that perfect cup...... Good Luck

Surfer

Jun 18, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Visit site
I've modified my espresso formula thanks to all the members here that I've been able to glean wisdom from so far.

I was using the single shot grind basket and filling 1/3 cup which is a bit more then two ounces. The taste was, I can now say harsh.

Now I'm using the double shot grind basket, filling it as full as I can then filling a two ounce cup.

The taste is soother, fuller flavor and I like the change! (Keep in mind my goal is a good mocha latte, I'm looking for a coffee flavor with a hint of chocolate. You purists will cringe but sometimes I add an 1/4 tsp of cinnamon on top the grinds than run a shot or add raspberry to the mocha. Yum!)

I'm staying with my $50 grinder which is on sale for $15 as I believe the grind is good, I feel it is too close to true espresso grind size that I don't need to change.

I tried a new basket filling technique this morning which failed. Filled the basket half way and tamped, then topped off and tamped again. Figuring that the grind pressure would be consistent all the way through. The crema or what some of you call my pathetic foam (LOL), was actually pathetic! Almost no crema, so I say that technique is a failure and will go back to traditional method.

~Michael
I'm not sure why you keep saying your grinder is good for espresso, it's not even a real burr grinder, these class of grinders are known more like bean mashers, not a normal burr set. It's not possible to get even close to the correct espresso grind, espresso isn't just "fine" which is a tri/bi-model grind quality. Which no grinder below 300 (save for the Pharos) is capable of. Depressurize the basket and pull a shot, and you'll see what I mean ;) . Think that's where a lot of people get confused, thinking espresso is just a fine grind, plenty of cheap grinders can grind into talcum powder which is far too fine... the trick is the correct grind consistency and quality, not just "fineness". Since the EC-155 is pressurized PF you actually don't even need to tamp, you could try grinding finder, and not tamp and experiment. I never saw a difference really on the Bar32 doing that, as the pressure clip regulates the pressure and flow of the coffee, not the tamped bed (whereas on a regular machine it's the opposite way).
I'm telling you, get one of the Hario grinders and depressurize the basket or replace the basket, and you'll see a big improvement with fresh roasted beans. :) . You seem to want to improve your coffee by all the posts, this would be a big step forward for your coffee quality. Then you'll be able to start producing some real crema.

Be careful putting stuff on top of the grinds, it can get gunked up into the shower screen and internals. And def stick with the double, singles are useless to me lol. Especially on reg machines, their harder to dial in and finicky, way easier to use a double and grind for a ristretto vs playing around with a single, i never use mine lol

Last edited:

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
It's the grinder, dude. Then the beans. Then the machine. Then the technique, imo.

I believe this is the true statement and I follow this. But then again, as long as the user or drinker feels they have the right combo, why does it matter what type of grinder he/she uses.

I was talking with few coffee experts in the past and I think coffee is also very personal. I think people should try what others doing differently and incorporate that into your method. I do not think it is important to just follow what everyone else does. But know why they are doing it that way and the reason behind it.

Importance of grinder is very well documented here in our forum. The reason for having the expensive grinder is to have even ground which will have even extraction from the beans. This is the most important reason.

Mhippo

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
It's the grinder, dude. Then the beans. Then the machine. Then the technique, imo.

There are exceptions... I found in highschool that with a cheap steam driven machine, and preground trukish coffee from a grocery store I could make a better latte than some coffee shops with excellent grinder, beans, and machine. Espresso, OTOH, is more like that, but you need to be reasonably good on all of them to get it right.

These days I blend my own green coffee, roast it myself and grind fresh every day...

Surfer

Jun 18, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Visit site
There are exceptions... I found in highschool that with a cheap steam driven machine, and preground trukish coffee from a grocery store I could make a better latte than some coffee shops with excellent grinder, beans, and machine. Espresso, OTOH, is more like that, but you need to be reasonably good on all of them to get it right.

These days I blend my own green coffee, roast it myself and grind fresh every day...
If those coffee shops had excellent grinder, beans, and machines, and a steam toy which is pretty bad for todays standards even entry level and preground coffee, outperformed them... I wouldn't call that a coffee shop and more like owners who have no clue what their doing lol

Mhippo

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
It outperformed them as much by my merit as by the incompetence of the employees at these coffee shops. I was almost (but not quite) turning out lattes as good as the good cafes. Note, a latte is more about the foam than the espresso, and the steaming (unless you use a pannarello :evil::evil:) works the same on a steam toy as on the most expensive double boiler HX (etc... I could go on, but you get the idea...).

Also, I learned a technique to get higher pressure than the steam machine was designed for and occasionally (probably depended on the exact freshness of the coffee) got a bit of decent crema.

EDIT:

I suppose one could consider what I did with the steam machine to be the equivalent of changing from a Moka Pot to a Brikka...

Last edited:

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
Just my $.02. I could not put the importance of the grinder to the quality of the green coffee roasted and when it was roasted.
But then again, I could neither put the quality of the said beans, over the importance of the the water. The coffee is 99% water.
I know you are talking about espresso machines and the pulled shot. So yes, the grinder is extremely important, I consider all factors
equally alike. I have pulled too many poor shots and have brewed some bad java too, but happy to say, I am advancing in the learning curve.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Michael, I would suggest you source a decent digital scale, which will help you dial things in. Once you obtain exactly what you're looking for, a scale will help maintain that consistency. 1 gram resolution will work just fine... I say that because the wannabe purists think coffee should be weighed to .1 gram, brew temperature just has to be within .1 degree, blah blah blah.

Also I wouldn't worry too much about volume. When the extraction starts to lighten considerably (pale) the puck has given up the best it has to offer.

bigdaub

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
Considering all previous steps are good (coffee, roast, water, etc..) the grinder will make a huge difference. This doesn't mean you cant get an acceptable shot with your current setup. What a better grinder will help you do is find that "sweet spot" faster and allow you to stay their longer. Full high end commercial equipment is designed to allow newer baristas to pull consistent shots easily.

If you have ever changed the burrs on a espresso grinder you will see the dramatic difference new sharp burrs make on the shot. A few years ago our MDX grinder went down at the shop. We had to use a Bunn G1 to grind espresso for 2 days :( One click on the G1 is equal to almost one full turn on the MDX.

You could also grab a VST refractometer to help dial in your shots. It does work nicely ;)
VSTAPPS STORE ? VST LAB Cof/Esp II Bundle

Best of luck. Let us know what your experiments go!
-Taylor