Building a Coffee Trike

garydem

Feb 25, 2014
USA
Visit site
We are about to build a few coffee trikes to put them on the road in our local area, and selected the following equipment. Just wanted to put this out to see if anybody would comment on the coffee equipment that we plan on using:

Espresso machine: Simonelli Oscar (http://nuovasimonelliusa.com/images/Pre-Installation Checklists/Oscar Spec Sheet_a.pdf)
Milk Cooler: Simonelli (http://nuovasimonelliusa.com/images/Pre-Installation Checklists/Milk Cooler Spec Sheet.pdf)
Grinder: Simonelli Mythos (http://nuovasimonelliusa.com/images/Pre-Installation Checklists/Mythos Grinder Spec Sheet.pdf)

Trikes will be on the road in the morning, and in the afternoon at the places where people (here) catch buses to DC and come back, as well as in a few local office complex areas. In other words, they are not going to be at high volume places in the middle of the city, where the coffee machine will have to be serving constantly.

Wanted to know if you have any recommendations as to which other machines we should be looking into...

Thank you...

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
i think you are going over-board on the grinder and the fridge. why not put the milk on ice and get a lower cost grinder. what will these trikes be powered by?
here is a pic of a coffee trike (peddle power) in Lima, Peru

coffee trike.jpg

garydem

Feb 25, 2014
USA
Visit site
Putting the milk on cooler is an excellent idea... in fact it will be easier to take it out and clean it...

as far as the grinder goes, we wanted to keep it in the same manufacturer and it seemed like that particular model was for business use... the least expensive on they have is this one: http://nuovasimonelliusa.com/images/Pre-Installation Checklists/Grinta Grinder Spec Sheet.pdf ... what do you think???

all this will be powered by an RV generator: Cummins RV generator set Quiet Gasoline™ Series RV QG 4000

nevertheless, if we use the above equipment, we may even be able to reduce the size of the generator... which will be awesome!!!

do appreciate your feedback, and please do not hesitate to give us more...

ps: I wish we could just contact that trike owner at Peru to import that coffee trike :)

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
not only is it a fraction of the cost, but is much lighter than that of the "Mythos". (very important if putting on a trike) will the trike be stationary, or will be propelled by some means?
that trike you see in the pic is supplied by "Nescafe". they brew the coffee beforehand, and then put the coffee in "airpots". they only supply sugar with your coffee, no milk/cream of any type.
can you post a pic of the trike?

garydem

Feb 25, 2014
USA
Visit site
Actually we are doing a pedal trike; because we are targeting small areas with office complexes, and also the bus stops where people catch a bus to the city, come back from the city. Since we don't want to cover large areas, we are not planning on electric or gas motors to propel the trikes.

We have the plans with the dimensions but I don't think it would be a good idea to put that out in the public at the moment (I am sure quite a few people would be thankful if we did :) )

Do you know the material of that trike (the mug portion)? Looks like fiberglass???

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
Dont kill yourself trying to design your own trike coffee cart.
There are few of them on Alibaba.com

Coffee Bike Coffee Trike Bike Coffee Cart - Buy Bike Coffee Cart,Coffee Bike,Coffee Trike Product on Alibaba.com

Try to google what others are doing. I am sure, there are tons of these being used all over the world. Just not popular in US.
that one on alibaba looks pretty cool, and at 500-900 dollars is a bargain. wonder what the shipping cost would be to the U.S.?

garydem

Feb 25, 2014
USA
Visit site
when we went through Alibaba, we didn't see this one... yes, it does look pretty promising...

I will send them an email to see what the outcome is going to be (as CoffeeJunky said, I too think that it is going to be more than 900 bucks :) )

I will keep you all updated with the developments...

Thank you all!

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
when we went through Alibaba, we didn't see this one... yes, it does look pretty promising...

I will send them an email to see what the outcome is going to be (as CoffeeJunky said, I too think that it is going to be more than 900 bucks :) )

I will keep you all updated with the developments...

Thank you all!
yea, the prices seem to be all over the board. good luck and keep us posted on the $ shipping.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I have purchased few things on Alibaba.com before and their price and the shipping cost is not as bad. However, quality of product is another story. Good Luck and let us know your finding.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
The only thing that has made me curious is to how much weight are you going to have with all the gear plus the rider? Depending on weight you may have to upgrade to a heavier spoke.