Advice on Temporary Espresso Machine for Summer

veghead13

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
Hey, all. I currently have a Jura Capresso superauto that I picked up a couple of years ago at the beginning of college for around $700 (it was refurbished). I absolutely love it and plan on using it for the foreseeable future. However...
I recently accepted a summer internship in NYC and don't really want to risk shipping (driving is not a possibility...I'm just too far away) my beautiful machine there and risk it breaking in transit. :/ But! I love espresso and would love to find a suitable temporary replacement. I really don't like the wateriness of American coffee, so I'd like to avoid picking up a plain old Mr. Coffee if at all possible. Yet, I will need something that's quick like a superauto.
I'm willing to spend $100-200. Any suggestions?

(I have friends who use a French Press, so I was considering that. I personally don't have much experience with them. Is it as watery as American coffee or is it closer to espresso? The camping espresso makers seem like too much work, but again, I have no experience with them.)

Thanks in advance for your help!

veghead13

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
Thank you, all. Both suggestions seem like great options.

On a side note, I found your locations (IA, MI, Philly) hilariously coincidental as they were the locations for my other internship possibilities for this summer. :)

Thanks again for your help!

veghead13

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
Oh! Also, because these would require ground beans, can you recommend a cheapish grinder that would do for the summer? I have a decent superauto here at home, so I wouldn't need it after this summer.

My parents have a cheap one I could steal (I think it's this one: www*amazon*com/KRUPS-1500813248-Electric-Grinder-Stainless/dp/B00004SPEU/). It would work but it's definitely not ideal...

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
My parents have a cheap one I could steal (I think it's this one: www*amazon*com/KRUPS-1500813248-Electric-Grinder-Stainless/dp/B00004SPEU/). It would work but it's definitely not ideal...

How long is you internship? If it won't be for too long, just borrow your parents grinder instead of buying a new one. It sounds like they're not using it. Then, If you break it, you can always buy them a replacement.

veghead13

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, all.
@Gmbaltrusitis, awesome. I'll be sure to look them up.

@PinkRose, it's 10 weeks. They only make coffee at home when we have family over for big holidays, so the won't use it during the summer. Otherwise, they use the grinder for spices on occasion, so I might get odd flavors for the first few weeks... Yeah, that' probably the safest bet.

@christopher1974, can you recommend any decent grinders for about $100? I'd like to explore my options. There's always selling it on Craighslist/Amazon after the summer so I could recoup some of the cost.
I don't want a drip coffee maker because I have difficulty stomaching the wateriness and bitterness of American coffee. Also, my espresso machine actually was $700-800 refurbished, $1300 regular if I remember. The ones suggested previously come in under budget, so I could afford to purchase a ~$100 grinder, especially if I sell it after the summer is over.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Moka marijuana may be the response. Do not invest in affordable 50 dollar java appliance. The idea not worth throwing away your cash on.

Moka marijuana????? I'm guessing that you're using a translator and you were looking for the translation for Moka Pot

From the looks of some of your posts, you need to find another way to translate your posts into English. They are very hard to understand.

Rob_Shaw

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
Lol at Moka Marijuana!! but seriously though you should checkout some reviews. The Nespresso Pixie Espresso Maker seems to be very popular at the moment and won't leave a big hole in your wallet.