Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    My funds are currently limited so a good grinder is my priority as better ground beans make better coffee even in a cheaper machine.
    Add fresh roasted beans to that point of view as well, don't use anything store bought with a use be/best by date, either order fresh online or find a local roaster or coffee shop that carriers fresh beans.

Already looking for a local roaster found a few that are relatively close and one that delivers

Good grinder (encore) and fresh beans can make a huge difference even on a cheap drip machine. I have a Hario Mini Slim for travel and last time out in Cali for a wedding I grabbed beans from a local roaster and the condo we rented only had a normal Mr Coffee, people were raving about the coffee lol. I knew it would be better if I was using say a Bonavita Drip, but just goes to show what a difference a good grinder and fresh beans can make.

I found a great bur grinder, top feed at Best Buy for less than $60. It allows me to grind how much I want at the coarseness/fineness I want. Look for a machine that is not a blade grinder. Those only work well on spices and dried herbs. It must have a conical reservoir on top with a catch-basket below and in front of the grinder. If you pay over $70 you are paying too much for home use.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertlee View Post
    I found a great bur grinder, top feed at Best Buy for less than $60. It allows me to grind how much I want at the coarseness/fineness I want. Look for a machine that is not a blade grinder. Those only work well on spices and dried herbs. It must have a conical reservoir on top with a catch-basket below and in front of the grinder. If you pay over $70 you are paying too much for home use.
    Depends, those burr grinders under 70 are not even really burr grinders for the most part, majority of them are bean mashers, just look at the sets, most look nothing like a normal conical burr set even though their marketed as conicals and some even have ribs/bumps on them mashing the beans, the cheap grinders have poor fines control and consistency. I had an Infinity Capresso and it's not as good as a Baratza Encore especially if you like press where fines control is a huge importance. And forget comparing it to a Baratza Virtuoso with the Preciso burrs. Paying over 70 is not too much, I guarantee if you tasted the same beans from that $60 grinder against a Virtuoso or even Encore on the same drip machine you wouldn't touch the cheap grinder again. If you want to save money and don't mind a hand grinder, a Hario Mini or Skerton will outperform any electric grinder under 100
    Last edited by Surfer; 03-27-2014 at 03:34 PM.

Been looking at a few hand grinders I think I'll go with the skerton I will just have to get up earlier in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Been looking at a few hand grinders I think I'll go with the skerton I will just have to get up earlier in the morning.
    Doesn't take long, fairly quick when coarse, it's when you grind fine that the Mini and Skerton take a couple minutes lol b/c of that small burr set. One thing that's awesome about hand grinding, the smell, so good when your grinding lol

Skerton has been ordered now to hunt down a local roaster.

Quote Originally Posted by calicafe View Post
    My cash are currently limited thus a great grinder can be the concern since far better soil coffee beans make better espresso even within a less expensive appliance.
    Huh?!? Almost all your posts make no sense. Guessing your foreign, whatever translator your using isn't working lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links