Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Grinder suggestions

I've decided to change from preground coffee to full beans and after quick look online I found a huge selection of grinders and was wondering if I could get some suggestions.

What is your brewing method?

Do you make espresso at home?

I use a drip filter coffee maker currently.

The Baratza Encore or Capresso Infinity were the best options I found for value & quality. Note that you can't get to espresso grind levels but you won't need that.

Yeah I want to upgrade from a drip filter but my partners not a coffee lover and won't let me spend over 150 on a espresso machine.

Baratza Encore is the go to in that low price range over the Infinity and Bodums etc, better burr set, better stepped adjusting, better consistancy and fines control, little/no retention, and Baratza service is second to none if you end up with any issues. I had an Infinity, Encore is better in every way for coarse use. What drip machine do you use?
    Last edited by Surfer; 03-25-2014 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Yeah I want to upgrade from a drip filter but my partners not a coffee lover and won't let me spend over 150 on a espresso machine.
    Hmmm! Based upon that comment I wonder if a grinder insufficient for espresso would be a waste of money for you. If you desire an espresso machine, you are probably going to get one sooner or later. The question then is, will you get one and need to upgrade your grinder. You should think more about this and perhaps it would be wise to go ahead and get a good grinder for coarse and espresso grinds.

Quote Originally Posted by janry View Post
    Hmmm! Based upon that comment I wonder if a grinder insufficient for espresso would be a waste of money for you. If you desire an espresso machine, you are probably going to get one sooner or later. The question then is, will you get one and need to upgrade your grinder. You should think more about this and perhaps it would be wise to go ahead and get a good grinder for coarse and espresso grinds.
    But if 150 is the ceiling for even an espresso machine, that makes an espresso-capable grinder too expensive too. IOW, you can't get a good grinder for espresso at that price point.

Go with an Encore, you'll be glad you did. Baratza has a refurb on their site for $99.

Quote Originally Posted by peterjschmidt View Post
    But if 150 is the ceiling for even an espresso machine, that makes an espresso-capable grinder too expensive too. IOW, you can't get a good grinder for espresso at that price point.
    But we don't know his/her budget for the grinder. What if the partner would be OK at this time spending 100 for the grinder and 100 for the espresso machine (low, I know) but that could mean a total budget of 200 which would be close to a decent espresso grinder. And maybe, we could wait a bit longer and have a bigger budget.

My funds are currently limited so a good grinder is my priority as better ground beans make better coffee even in a cheaper machine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links