Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I'm sure the Vario-W will serve you well and impress you along the way. I think it's a great choice for your needs and have no doubt it will hold up to moderate grinding should you tackle the farmer's market.

update on my grinder search: the seller I bought the Baratza Vario-w from on Amazon (3rd party, new) backed out on me because evidently they had it listed on both ebay and amazon at the same time and it sold "15 minutes earlier on ebay". annoying.

turns out, I'm kinda OK with it happening that way, and I'd like to know if anybody agrees with my thought process. I ended up getting a refurbed Vario from the Baratza website (same price I "bought" the Vario-W for), but think it may actually be a better grinder in the long run. In all the videos I watched of the scale on the W, it seems a bit touchy. I'm wondering if since the whole thing is based on the scale, you'd be in for a bigger repair if it went out. And it kinda seems like it is inevitably gonna break before too long (few years, maybe?).

That logic make sense to you?

I like my Vario but they are no where near commercial quality. The good thing is most repairs are easy to do and the parts are cheap. I've sent mine in for repair once and after coming back from the repair job Seems they had stripped a screw hole in the plastic case holding the control board letting it vibrate until it would blow the control board and motor. of corse I did not figure this out until right after the repair warranty ran out.
    It was easy enough to repair it myself after figuring out what was causing the issue.

Oh, hands down the Baratza Vario grinder! It's a gem. I've used several grinders to finally settle on this and realize that this baby gives me the best extraction ever. You can check it out on Daily Cuppa Coffee (that's where we got it). Have no experience with the Mazzer, however. I'd say spring for a new coffee grinder.

To a coffee professional, there are few tools as important as a grinder. The grinder is the tuning fork for the extraction. Baratza has raised the bar in not only manufacturing excellent grinders, but doing so on a scale and at a cost that brings excellence to a larger group of people and companies. They are bridging the gap between the Coffee Professionals and the Coffee Enthusiasts. I see Baratza grinders in homes, shops, labs, and travel kits. Being the Director of Education at Café Imports means that I need a grinder that I can rely on, is efficient, grinds extraordinarily well, travels easy, and has a great team of people with excellent customer service in case there is ever an issue. Baratza has provided me with this.

I'm having dosing issues with the Vario. With the timer set at 17 seconds, I can get 25 grams one time and 30 seconds later get a 28 gram dose. Without adjusting anything. Is this normal? Should I weigh my beans before grinding? If so, what is the timer function for? Should I call Baratza? Doesn't seem right to me.

It's not unusual to be off 1-2 grams with timed grinding. My Vario is quite precise, but not spot-on. One thing I always do is use my finger to tap the side of the unit while grinding (for espresso fineness) as moist grounds can sometimes stick in the chute on the way down. This shouldn't be as much of an issue for coarser grinding unless oily coffees are being used.

The timer function is just to get you close to your range. If you change grind settings the time needed to achieve a certain amount will vary as well.

Are you sure the scale you're using is calibrated and accurate? I ask because even quality digital scales can vary 1-3 grams unless reset constantly.

I guess it could be the scale, I don't know how I'd check that though. I always tare it before adding the grounds. Hmmm, I guess I might just start weighing my beans before grinding if I feel like being extra special nerdy. Or, if the scale is off, that wouldn't help anything.

Thanks, Shadow.

To a coffee professional, there are few tools as important as a grinder. The grinder is the tuning fork for the extraction. Baratza has raised the bar in not only manufacturing excellent grinders, but doing so on a scale and at a cost that brings excellence to a larger group of people and companies.

They are bridging the gap between the Coffee Professionals and the Coffee Enthusiasts. I see Baratza grinders in homes, shops, labs, and travel kits. Being the Director of Education at Café Imports means that I need a grinder that I can rely on, is efficient, grinds extraordinarily well, travels easy, and has a great team of people with excellent customer service in case there is ever an issue. Baratza has provided me with this. -Joe Marrocco, Sales Associate/Director of Education

I trust his perspective so I’d choose BARATZA over mazzer.

Dorthy,

Hmmm, I did choose the Baratza, and am asking about some issues I am encountering while using it.

Respectfully, I suggest that it wouldn't be a bad idea for you to spend a few minutes looking back at the last few posts in a given thread and checking for 1)the direction the topic is taking, and 2)the date of the last post.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links