Bunn Velocity Brew Problem

Culann

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
We recently purchased the above machine and I have one problem. The machine tends to overflow from the brew funnel. What I have to do to counter this is watch it after I have inserted the brew funnel and as soon as it looks like it is over flowing, I lift the lid to prevent it from brewing further. Then I wait and once it has settled down I close the lid and it works fine. It is apparently a design defect. Any comments?

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
I would call the manufacturer. Might be a design flaw or the brewer is not functioning properly.
Some questions to consider. Does it overflow when brewing smaller portions?
Also have you been brewing with too fine of a grind? If so, maybe you need a courser grind.
A fine grind in a drip brewer will cause overflow due to restricted passage.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I was at coffee-con in Chicago this weekend and had long talk with Bunn reps. They are very nice people. I would contact them directly for their help. They are located in Springfield, Illinois. I am sure they will help you fix that problem.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
BUNN machines are simple in form/function and brew hot/fast. Several things to keep in mind with your issue...

1. Coffee is ground too fine...
2. Coffee is too fresh and blooming is causing the overflow...
3. You can contact BUNN for a different spray head (should be removable), which can be used to slow the flow rate...
4. For a quick fix you can plug 1-2 holes in the stock spray head with a piece of toothpick...
5. Try using a different filter material. I prefer gold tone over paper. Better flow, less clogging and richer taste.

Culann

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks all three of you for your replies. I believe the problem is the amount of coffee utilized and the fix described in my original post seems to work fine.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
What type of filter do you currently use? BUNN recommends using their tall (high sidewall) paper filters to help prevent overflow when suggested coffee/water ratios are utilized.

FWIW I occasionally had the same problem commercially using a BUNN VPR pourover airpot brewer when the coffee was too fresh and I interrupted the brew cycle much like you do. I would pour in about 1/3 of the water, which saturated the ground coffee and once that expansion settled from the coffee blooming I poured in the rest of the water to finish the batch. Worked every time!

Last edited:

Culann

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Yes, Shadow, it seems to be the problem and thanks for the notes. I gave Bunn a call and they are sending me some different spray heads at no charge which was very nice of them. I get my coffee from Dean's Beans as the local roaster no longer sells retail. Will let you know if this solves my problem.

Last edited: