Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Siphon

Really enjoying the thread. Thanks Chris. I tried siphon/vacuum brewing close to 20 years ago. I guess I never could master
    a great cup. John, did not try a thousand times though, maybe I should give it a go again after reading this thread.
    I used this from either the late 40's to early 50's.
    Name:  proctor silex.JPG
Views: 206
Size:  3.2 KB
    I am not sure who invented the siphon brewing method(the east or west?),
    but this pic was taken from a 1915 advertisement. Look familiar?
    Siphon-earlysilexad.jpg
    I have been brewing for a while now with my big Chemex, with a stainless steel Coava cone.
    If I want an even cleaner cup(like this morning), I added a paper filter under it.
    Tried some Ethiopian Lekempti(first time roasting from this region). Medium body, not as pungent
    as the Yirgacheffe, but enough citrus in taste and aroma. Very enjoyable,
    Last edited by JumpinJakJava; 05-09-2014 at 08:10 PM.

Thanks for bringing this subject up. A new coffee shop nearby is offering siphon coffee so I'll give it a try there next time I drop in.

Great thing about Siphon coffee is not how many time you have brewed is important but how carefully you brew your cup.

What I love about siphon is the control you have. How long you want your coffee to extract its love. How hot you want your coffee. The most of the competition level brewers would say you do not want to brew longer then 1:30 to 2 mins because of the over extraction of your beans but what I have found that also depends on the each person as well.

I have used mine over and over again. I have used mesh steel filter to paper but my favorite is the cotton cloth filter. Always yield the best coffee....

Hey Coffee Junky! just sent you a PM about this siphon brewer
    Charlie
    If you are afraid of failure or losing money, quit while you are ahead

CoffeeJunky,

The time is based on your brewing methodology. For Japanese style brewing, no more than 40 seconds brew time (40 up, 20 down). Any longer than that does not extract more flavors, it either flattens or overextracts and adds bitterness.

For European style 1:30 to 3 min is not unheard of.

The main differences are Euro method is done with a coarser grind, it's much easier to do, works best in the Cona brewers or those with the glass cory rod, and gives more body. Japanese method takes more time to perfect, works best in the Technica style brewers, and extracts a greater range of flavors (as much as 30%).

European style is just about making a great cup of coffee. At it's highest level, Japanese style siphon brewing is a philosophy, a ritual, an experience. There is a huge difference between someone brewing coffee with a siphon brewer and someone "making siphon coffee". It's the same difference between drinking matcha tea and having matcha prepared by a tea master.

Every element matters. What's the weather like outside? (season) What is the order you are serving people in? What coffee are they having, etc. These elements help you to choose the proper vessel to serve them in.

What flavors are present? How was the coffee roasted? How do you alter the intensity and duration of stirring to manipulate the flavor profile in the cup? When you understand these things, you are well on your way to understanding the philosophy behind siphon brewing.

The craft of coffee is important. Understanding and executing at an artisan level is the best way to share the whole of the experience with your customers. There's a lot of bad coffee being served in some very great places because everyone is in such a rush rather than taking the time to do it right. Without continuous learning and understanding beyond the technique, you will never have the opportunity to even understand what 'mastery' is.

Slow down. Learn. Patience pays off.
    Last edited by John P; 04-19-2014 at 01:39 PM.
    John Piquet
    caffe d'bolla
    Salt Lake City, UT
    caffedbolla.com

Akira or Yama halogen heater? Inquired twice about the Akira but the sales dept. never replied. Yama is sold by Esspresso parts. Want to try both styles. One from Coffee Junky and one controlled by a beam heater. Yama is also UL approved. Will probably get the new Hario siphon.
    Charlie
    If you are afraid of failure or losing money, quit while you are ahead

I think if you want something for the show, I would think the Beam heater would be the right direction. It looks cool to show to your customers.
    If you want the best tasting, it really depends on what you are after.
    I have brewed with Hario 5 cup and 3 cup version over 200-300 times. I have done many different variables, and time differences in siphon brewing. But my findings and opinion is little different from what John believes.
    I am not disputing many of his point or his believe. I think we are all entitle to have our own opinion. And my opinion is little different from his.

I think siphon coffee can be easily brewed at home. It will bring out the best of the coffee but if you are after raw, full body and strong fruity flavor, this would not serve you well.
    You are better off using pour over like Chemex, Aeropress and soft brew.

The product Diguo coffee maker is much safer for home brewing and also you don't have to invest 500 dollars or more to get great coffee.

I had the all stainless nicro with their nifty all stainless strainer gizmo. It made good coffee; fun to watch.

Len
    "I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." ~Flash Rosenberg

Most siphons these days look like the oldschool tall pillar style that Hario, Yama and others are creating facsimiles of in good numbers at decent prices.

How about a siphon that looks radically different? One still made by hand in England by a century-old company? One that is still more or less the same siphon this company has been making for decades and decades? Let me present to you a siphon not much talked about: The Cona siphon.

With sweeping, art deco lines, wide bowl, narrow spout and an all glass brewing system (even the filter is glass), the Cona certainly stands out amongst the crowd. It is notoriously difficult to clean (hint - get a decanter brush), and won't work with any of the modern butane burners, but who cares - it is a gorgeous work of art and still brews fantastic coffee.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links