Siphon

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
So I received a siphon about 2 weeks ago. I have been so busy I didn't have time to use it. I came to work early today to test it out. I was impressed..anyone else tried one of these out? I liked the fact that it was heavy duty. My old one I was always afraid that it was going to break. Made for a great cup of coffee! Glad I came in early:grin:
siphon.jpg

cestrin

Jul 19, 2013
Tempe, AZ
Visit site
How does a siphon-brewed cup taste different from a french press or pour-over? I haven't ever heard anyone describe it. I know there's a big difference between french press (bolder) and pour-overs (lighter, nuanced).

Also, glad you like it!!

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Siphon (done right) is recognized as the best way to brew to bring out the most dynamic flavors in the cup. It's like a perfect press with 20% more flavors and zero sediment. Outside of a rigorous cupping, siphon allows you as close to a true representation of the coffee as possible.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I've been using a Yama 5-cup stove-top siphon for a few years, and agree, a siphon will make a great cup of coffee. I use a Cory glass rod with mine, just because it's easier cleanup and a little fuller; I don't use paper/cloth filters if it can be helped. I think the reason siphons or vac-pots, as they're also called, are so great is because they do a good job maintaining the temp of the slurry during the brew time, as opposed to say, a press pot, where the temps are falling throughout the steep time.

A worthwhile tip with a siphon is to let the water go north before adding the ground coffee. If you have a thermometer handy you can check the temp of the water; it'll go to the top portion and still not be hot enough for proper extraction, so you're better off waiting a bit and then adding the coffee.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Past few years, I have used Hario 3 cup and 5 cup version and Yama 3 cup stove top version, Balance siphon and also the one I have been using for past 2 years.

I have done over 1000 brew with siphon and just last weekend, I brewed over 100 on Saturday.

As John said above, Siphon is the best way to brew your coffee. It is not easy or quick like K-cup machine or French press. But once you have coffee with Siphon, you really can't go back using other traditional method of brewing your coffee.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
As John said above, Siphon is the best way to brew your coffee. It is not easy or quick like K-cup machine or French press. But once you have coffee with Siphon, you really can't go back using other traditional method of brewing your coffee.

If that were true we would all have siphons and not bother with anything else, lmao. What coffee should be is subjective like most things in life, no right or wrong, just preference and opinion. IMBHO nothing compares to straight espresso and I strongly believe other extraction/brew methods should be dubbed FCA (For Candy A$$es) for those that simply can't handle espresso.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Siphon (done right) is recognized as the best way to brew to bring out the most dynamic flavors in the cup. It's like a perfect press with 20% more flavors and zero sediment. Outside of a rigorous cupping, siphon allows you as close to a true representation of the coffee as possible.

Recognized by who? The geeks on other forums? The SCAA? Still just opinion and we all have one.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Shadow,

We can all have our preferences, but the science, as well as the coffee speaks for itself.

Siphon (Specifically Japanese style (as compared to European style) and (French) press have always been noted by expert cuppers internationally as yielding the most amount of flavors in the cup.

Siphon and press are the only full-immersion artisan coffee brewing methods. Technically, you can count the Clever, but it's plastic, and ... really? As the coffee particles are in contact with the water for the entire length of the brew, the flavors emitted by the coffee oils are released more completely. The difference with the siphon is twofold, first, it is the only coffee brewing method that allows you to maintain a constant temperature throughout the brew cycle. Every other coffee brewing method has a declining temperature profile, so they lose potential flavors. Secondly, the constant agitation of the particles releases the delicate aromatic oils and flavors in a quicker manner which allows you to capture them and bring them directly to the cup. That's why a properly brewed siphon has no more than 40 seconds of brewing time and 20-25 seconds draw down time yet will yield more flavors than any other brewing method.

Of course, an incorrectly brewed siphon is just as horrendous as any other poorly executed method. In my opinion, it takes many thousands of cups before you have any true understanding of siphon brewing. And without the proper frame of mind, no matter how many cups you brew it will not matter. A single cup, brewed in the proper frame of mind, is more valuable experience than 10,00 cups brewed in the wrong frame of mind. It's about kokoro (mind, body, soul) -- everything working together to execute that perfect cup. Without it, it's like an unfulfilled promise.

And if you still have your doubts, go to Hanafusa in Kyoto, near Kinkakuji (golden temple), order the Yemen Mokka Mattari, and that will be the beginning of your journey. After you go to Kyoto, come visit, and I will do my best to continue to expand your horizons.

It should be noted that I don't post under an alias. My twitter as well as my shop name are part of my signature, and my reputation within the industry is without question.

Last edited:

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I give credit where it's due... great explanation. Thousands of cups to achieve a true understanding of siphon? NO WAY I could pass up that much espresso along the way to explore another option.

Coffee for me is about the texture as much as taste... only espresso and press (when I must go that route) can satisfy that for now.

FWIW I have posted under an alias for years, but I never hide behind it...

Last edited:

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I give credit where it's due... great explanation. Thousands of cups to achieve a true understanding of siphon? NO WAY I could pass up that much espresso along the way to explore another option.

Coffee for me is about the texture as much as taste... only espresso and press (when I must go that route) can satisfy that for now.

FWIW I have posted under an alias for years, but I never hide behind it...

Even thou what John said above is standard and true to the point, the coffee industry also have said if you love the dark roasted coffee, you would like pour over or soft brewer much better.
Also I have great respect for Hario or Yama since they are the pioneer of the newer siphon brewing but their designs dates back to 1970's and their out dated design just leaves too much water in the lower vessel(because of weak heating or smaller heating surface.) resulting in diluting the coffee that was perfectly brewed.

I have done many coffee trips to Asia including Tokyo, Osaka, San Dai(no longer there) Seoul, Ho chi minh city, Indonesia, Papau New Guinea and more but I still love my coffee here in US. Yes, journey to find that perfect cup in different culture is awesome experience and I am planning more trips to Africa and more South America but what I have learn from my many trips to all over the world is to treasure my culture that we have built here in US.

Last edited:

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
Really enjoying the thread. Thanks Chris. I tried siphon/vacuum brewing close to 20 years ago. I guess I never could master
a great cup. John, did not try a thousand times though, maybe I should give it a go again after reading this thread.
I used this from either the late 40's to early 50's.
proctor silex.JPG
I am not sure who invented the siphon brewing method(the east or west?),
but this pic was taken from a 1915 advertisement. Look familiar?
earlysilexad.JPG
I have been brewing for a while now with my big Chemex, with a stainless steel Coava cone.
If I want an even cleaner cup(like this morning), I added a paper filter under it.
Tried some Ethiopian Lekempti(first time roasting from this region). Medium body, not as pungent
as the Yirgacheffe, but enough citrus in taste and aroma. Very enjoyable,

Last edited:

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Great thing about Siphon coffee is not how many time you have brewed is important but how carefully you brew your cup.

What I love about siphon is the control you have. How long you want your coffee to extract its love. How hot you want your coffee. The most of the competition level brewers would say you do not want to brew longer then 1:30 to 2 mins because of the over extraction of your beans but what I have found that also depends on the each person as well.

I have used mine over and over again. I have used mesh steel filter to paper but my favorite is the cotton cloth filter. Always yield the best coffee....

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
CoffeeJunky,

The time is based on your brewing methodology. For Japanese style brewing, no more than 40 seconds brew time (40 up, 20 down). Any longer than that does not extract more flavors, it either flattens or overextracts and adds bitterness.

For European style 1:30 to 3 min is not unheard of.

The main differences are Euro method is done with a coarser grind, it's much easier to do, works best in the Cona brewers or those with the glass cory rod, and gives more body. Japanese method takes more time to perfect, works best in the Technica style brewers, and extracts a greater range of flavors (as much as 30%).

European style is just about making a great cup of coffee. At it's highest level, Japanese style siphon brewing is a philosophy, a ritual, an experience. There is a huge difference between someone brewing coffee with a siphon brewer and someone "making siphon coffee". It's the same difference between drinking matcha tea and having matcha prepared by a tea master.

Every element matters. What's the weather like outside? (season) What is the order you are serving people in? What coffee are they having, etc. These elements help you to choose the proper vessel to serve them in.

What flavors are present? How was the coffee roasted? How do you alter the intensity and duration of stirring to manipulate the flavor profile in the cup? When you understand these things, you are well on your way to understanding the philosophy behind siphon brewing.

The craft of coffee is important. Understanding and executing at an artisan level is the best way to share the whole of the experience with your customers. There's a lot of bad coffee being served in some very great places because everyone is in such a rush rather than taking the time to do it right. Without continuous learning and understanding beyond the technique, you will never have the opportunity to even understand what 'mastery' is.

Slow down. Learn. Patience pays off.

Last edited: