Please go easy on me (super auto question)

rsoares28

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I have a Saeco xelsis with finger scanner. Anybody here with a similar machine can provide some advice on optimal settings to get a respectable espresso? i'm finding my shots too watered down.

I'm also using Lavazza beans in the Gold bag if that helps.

I'm new to this game and looking for some advice, thanks

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Machine notwithstanding, Lavazza is about as lousy an espresso that you can buy.

Buy something fresh -- local if you have a good roaster.

That will help immensely.

Secondly, adjust your grinder, it's probably off.

rsoares28

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi John thanks for the reply. I do have a local roaster that i can try, just waiting for my Lavazza bag to finish. In regards to the grinder i do have it set to the finest setting. Was hoping for someone with this machine can advise on what settings they used to pull a respectable shot out of it. looks like this isn't the forum for super automatic owners

Surfer

Jun 18, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Visit site
Get rid of Lavazza and go for fresh roasted, Lavazza charges $$$ for stale beans. However your problem is also a common issue with a superauto, it'll never come remotely close to a semi-auto, even low end semi-auto machine can outperform commercial superautos, just inherent to their design. I have a friend with a Jura C9 and it's always been a watered down more like gusher shot, same for other home superautos I've used, no matter what settings or grinder/water adjustment made. They can make just "passable" drinks, meaning more like a cup of coffee or milk based, but their severely lacking for espresso.

Your only thing to improve it is fresh roasted beans and adjusting the grind settings. Stick more to a medium roast also, darker roast can gum up the internals of a superauto.

rsoares28

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I'll go with a fresh roast bean and report back. I'm not sure what else I can do with regards to the grinder as it's already on the finest setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bozo

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Lavazza, barf, puke, spit. When I got my Saeco, I received a bag of that $#@%, 1 sip and I poured it out and thru the bag in the trash. DON'T USE OILY BEANS. Check; pre-brewing long, aroma (7 grams coffee or more?), grind setting, filtered water. It may take a few shots before you get it right. www.SeattleCoffeeGear.com is a good place to watch videos about related issues, Bozo

rsoares28

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply... I didn't know lavazza was oily beans... I'll throw them out today.

I think my pre brewing is set towards the middle. I'll adjust it to long.

Not sure how to set aroma.... I have a coffee length setting and an intensity setting based on 3 beans... If all 3 beans are selected that means a strong coffee... I have it at two beans. My house has soft water and I also use the Intenza filter.

Bozo

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
According to SCG "aroma" refers to the amount of coffee brewed per shot. Your manual should explain how to change "aroma". You might think about a coffee roaster because when you get your Saeco set you may find that you run out of beans quickly. Roasting is fun but having to wait for the beans to "rest" is a pain in the bu%#, about 4 to 5 days. Having a roaster one should save money and I would suggest RoastMasters.com for some research along with sweetmarias.com and here may be good also. Hope this may help, Bozo

davekro

...wait(ing) for the beans to "rest" is a pain in the bu%#, about 4 to 5 days. Bozo
Can you expand on what a "resting beans" process entails? I get fresh roasted beans from a local roaster for my (OCS) HLF super auto's. The med-dark roast beans are (valve) bagged soon after roasting and are to oily. My next order is for 'medium roast' of this espresso bean blend. I get that order tomorrow.

My roaster had suggested leaving the beans out 24 - 48 hours before sealing into bags to try reducing oiliness. My unknowingness equates this with making the beans stale to allow oils to dry. Is this NOT a bad thing? My roaster says that the beans would still be much fresher than Peet's or Starbuck's, etc bought thru the supply chain (saying 'best used in 2 -3 months'!).
(don't mean to hijack your thread rsoares28 :eek:)

Surfer

Jun 18, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Visit site
Can you expand on what a "resting beans" process entails? I get fresh roasted beans from a local roaster for my (OCS) HLF super auto's. The med-dark roast beans are (valve) bagged soon after roasting and are to oily. My next order is for 'medium roast' of this espresso bean blend. I get that order tomorrow.

My roaster had suggested leaving the beans out 24 - 48 hours before sealing into bags to try reducing oiliness. My unknowingness equates this with making the beans stale to allow oils to dry. Is this NOT a bad thing? My roaster says that the beans would still be much fresher than Peet's or Starbuck's, etc bought thru the supply chain (saying 'best used in 2 -3 months'!).
(don't mean to hijack your thread rsoares28 :eek:)
Beans aren't going to stale that fast, 24-48 hours is normal, and it's called "off gassing" after roasting. Won't really do anything for oily beans so not sure why your roaster tells you that, if anything it'll make them worse as the oils come through and oily beans will be oily weeks later so not sure what he meant there. Oils aren't going to disappear in 24-48 hours lol.

Those chains beans are even worse, forget oily, their already stale, Charbucks beans can be anywhere from 6-12 months old easily by the time you buy a bag.

davekro

So what is the resting process and what range of time might roasters use for this? I'm getting that only roasting lighter will reduce oil. Is it true that some medium and even light roast beans still could have oil on surface of beans after roasting?

Surfer

Jun 18, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Visit site
So what is the resting process and what range of time might roasters use for this? I'm getting that only roasting lighter will reduce oil. Is it true that some medium and even light roast beans still could have oil on surface of beans after roasting?
Lighter roast will have less oil/basically look dry, medium may have a slight sheen depending (different medium roast), and dark obviously will have more oil. After roasting, beans will cool and then they need to rest to "off gas", beans need 24-96 hours to let the CO2 created during the roast to "off gas" .... taste fresh roasted beans right after they cool and you'll understand why ;) . Some people do 10 hours, some do a couple days depending on beans/blend and personal taste. Like a home roaster will roast, cool the beans, then put in a container or jar with the lid loose to let the gasses out, then seal up and use like normal.

Last edited: