Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Please go easy on me (super auto question)

I have a Saeco xelsis with finger scanner. Anybody here with a similar machine can provide some advice on optimal settings to get a respectable espresso? i'm finding my shots too watered down.

I'm also using Lavazza beans in the Gold bag if that helps.

I'm new to this game and looking for some advice, thanks

Machine notwithstanding, Lavazza is about as lousy an espresso that you can buy.

Buy something fresh -- local if you have a good roaster.

That will help immensely.

Secondly, adjust your grinder, it's probably off.
    John Piquet
    caffe d'bolla
    Salt Lake City, UT
    caffedbolla.com

Hi John thanks for the reply. I do have a local roaster that i can try, just waiting for my Lavazza bag to finish. In regards to the grinder i do have it set to the finest setting. Was hoping for someone with this machine can advise on what settings they used to pull a respectable shot out of it. looks like this isn't the forum for super automatic owners

Get rid of Lavazza and go for fresh roasted, Lavazza charges $$$ for stale beans. However your problem is also a common issue with a superauto, it'll never come remotely close to a semi-auto, even low end semi-auto machine can outperform commercial superautos, just inherent to their design. I have a friend with a Jura C9 and it's always been a watered down more like gusher shot, same for other home superautos I've used, no matter what settings or grinder/water adjustment made. They can make just "passable" drinks, meaning more like a cup of coffee or milk based, but their severely lacking for espresso.

Your only thing to improve it is fresh roasted beans and adjusting the grind settings. Stick more to a medium roast also, darker roast can gum up the internals of a superauto.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I'll go with a fresh roast bean and report back. I'm not sure what else I can do with regards to the grinder as it's already on the finest setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lavazza, barf, puke, spit. When I got my Saeco, I received a bag of that $#@%, 1 sip and I poured it out and thru the bag in the trash. DON'T USE OILY BEANS. Check; pre-brewing long, aroma (7 grams coffee or more?), grind setting, filtered water. It may take a few shots before you get it right. www.SeattleCoffeeGear.com is a good place to watch videos about related issues, Bozo

Thanks for the reply... I didn't know lavazza was oily beans... I'll throw them out today.

I think my pre brewing is set towards the middle. I'll adjust it to long.

Not sure how to set aroma.... I have a coffee length setting and an intensity setting based on 3 beans... If all 3 beans are selected that means a strong coffee... I have it at two beans. My house has soft water and I also use the Intenza filter.

According to SCG "aroma" refers to the amount of coffee brewed per shot. Your manual should explain how to change "aroma". You might think about a coffee roaster because when you get your Saeco set you may find that you run out of beans quickly. Roasting is fun but having to wait for the beans to "rest" is a pain in the bu%#, about 4 to 5 days. Having a roaster one should save money and I would suggest RoastMasters.com for some research along with sweetmarias.com and here may be good also. Hope this may help, Bozo

Quote Originally Posted by Bozo View Post
    ...wait(ing) for the beans to "rest" is a pain in the bu%#, about 4 to 5 days. Bozo
    Can you expand on what a "resting beans" process entails? I get fresh roasted beans from a local roaster for my (OCS) HLF super auto's. The med-dark roast beans are (valve) bagged soon after roasting and are to oily. My next order is for 'medium roast' of this espresso bean blend. I get that order tomorrow.

My roaster had suggested leaving the beans out 24 - 48 hours before sealing into bags to try reducing oiliness. My unknowingness equates this with making the beans stale to allow oils to dry. Is this NOT a bad thing? My roaster says that the beans would still be much fresher than Peet's or Starbuck's, etc bought thru the supply chain (saying 'best used in 2 -3 months'!).
    (don't mean to hijack your thread rsoares28 )

No worries, thanks for bringing this up, I'm interested in the answer also

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links