Best Quality Home Espresso Machine

What price range is sweet spot for Espresso machines?

• Below $700

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $700 to $1,100

• $1,400 to $1,700

• $1,700 to $2,100

• Above $2,100

• Total voters

William_K_F

Jan 4, 2005
Saratoga, CA
Visit site
Hello,

I'm interested in what you think the sweet spot is on the price performance curve for Espresso machines. Seems they run up to $2500.

What would you recommend for a machine to last that makes good brew? Doesn't have to have all the bells and whistles however, it shouldn't be really hard to use (i.e. not pump).

Thanks.

-William

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Jura Capresso S9, easy to use and clean. Looks great and makes pretty good espresso. If you don't want to spend that much you can always drop down to a S7 or S8, a few less features but the same great machine.

William_K_F

Jan 4, 2005
Saratoga, CA
Visit site
Clarification

Hello,

Let me try and clarify in case it was not clear.

I am wondering on the price performance curve at what point do the benefits start falling off per dollar? That is at what price does Quality divided by Cost result in the largest number?

Seems strange that it would be the most expensive ones, usually in markets the sweet spot is not the very highest end.

Thanks.

-William

fiagt2

Jan 12, 2005
Visit site
The JURA E8 makes almost the same quality as the S7 S8 and S9. The S's have dual 1350w Thermalblock heaters. The only feature the S9 has is the frothXpress PLUS which is an option for the other models at about $79.00 for that option.

Go with the E8 for 999 at reatilers or presently at ebay for 889. The S7 is 1799. from retailers or 1599 at ebay. Capresso said they will nnot warranty units purchased on ebay.

My S7 is shipping today!

javagal

Jan 8, 2005
Grayslake, Illinois
Visit site
I'm no expert by any means, and I'm on the lower end, with a Saeco Vienna I think around $400. Superautomatic, espresso for dummies as I would call it. Great espresso, does everything but drink it for you. Only drawback is the one hopper/grinder, does not allow easy change for decaf or other beans. But what's the point of decaf espresso?

William_K_F

Jan 4, 2005
Saratoga, CA
Visit site
Semi-Automatic

Hello,

I think semi-automatic would be more taste / less feature.

Any opinions about these Semi / Automatic Heat Exchanger Boiler commercial rated models:

Isomac Tea
Pasquini Livia 90
Isomac Millenium
ECM Giotto
Wega MiniNova

Thanks.

-William

tnj606

Jan 19, 2005
Visit site
Not Saeco Vienna

I had such a difficult time with Saeco Vienna. Within 6 months, it had problem 3 times. Saeco service is really bad too. After spending so much on shipping my unit for repair, i decided to get rid of it and buy another. I think i will buy Gaggia Syncrony.

javagal

Jan 8, 2005
Grayslake, Illinois
Visit site
Has anyone esle had a bad experience with Saeco? I haven't had a major problem yet. I had one issue with a part sticking, and they were nothing but accomodating, even sent free beans to make up for my trouble, and paid for my shipping. Interesting that you had so much trouble. I'm going on year 3 and love it. How often did you use the machine? Maybe that's the difference?

LiftOff

Nov 3, 2004
Arizona
Visit site
The Saeco machines are in my humble opinion garbage, no matter the price point. Lot's of cheap plastic, temp instability all producing a mediocre shot at best.

There are many better options out there such as any of the Isomacs, Marcuzzi, Wega etc.

meli

Dec 16, 2004
Visit site
I have the Andreja Premium and I love this machine. Can't say enough great things about it. Think about a good grinder first then get the machine you can afford. My grinder is a Mazzer Mini which is a little overblown for home use but can certainly help shots on any machine I could buy afterwards.

I also considered the NS Oscar but it didn't have enough to play with and the Isomac Mill(sp). All were better than the losuy Krups we had for years. This was a MAJOR step up for me and my pocketbook but after working in a shop I knew what I was looking for and waited for what I wanted.

Good Luck! You'll learn alot in your quest.

A lot of the small cafes here use either Saeco or Jura machines. Both are not at all adequate for cafe use- but they are the cheaper option than buying a commercial machine. One of our cafes has just taken onboard a CKX semi auto. This machine is cheaper than the other CMA machines and seems to fill the niche between a full blown commercial and a home espresso unit. Still- its not as small as it looks in pictures on the net- would crush a plastic fantastic jura into little bits if dropped from above. Might be slightly too large for teh average kitchen. One nice feature it can either run off a tank or can really easily be plumbed into the water mains.

fiagt2

Jan 12, 2005
Visit site
The Jura S7 has beeen home for 8 days and we love the coffee taste. We are making various drinks as well as plain coffee. Easy to use and easy to clean. I plan to buy another one for my office.

edna713

Nov 17, 2004
SC
Visit site
WHAT

Is your budget?? you need to decide.. If you are Bill Gates, get a nice La Marzocco single group for about $8000!

Check your bank account.

dave

tnj606

Jan 19, 2005
Visit site
Hmm...

:?
Just to reply to some questions. I did use my Saeco about 4 times a day. Customer service people I have talked to (managers) refused to replace my unit. On top of that, they sent me back the unit without fixing it. I have paid 40 dollars to get this shipped back to me overnight. They kept saying I did not do it right (which is not true because I just turned it on and the firt thing was malfunction lamp.) They refused to give me money back and very reluctant to authorize me to ship back for repair. It is true that Saeco is very cheap compared to other manufacturer even though $500 is a lot of money to me. I think all the shipping cost and trip to coffee shop until my machine is fixed, I spent good$300. I guess it is better off pay more sometimes.