Dialing in my Baratza Vario for Aeropress

Redswing

May 30, 2013
Northern California
Visit site
I ask this to see how you all approach finding the right grind as I am learning how to use my new Baratza Vario:

I'm trying to find the right grind for aeropress, but am having a hard time knowing how to figure it out. The most consistent thing I've heard is the grind is a bit courser than for pour over. I only have one aeropress so it's tough to brew cups side by side for comparing, and since I don't really know what to pay attention to (like the rate of flow on the pour over), I'm not sure what to do. I may take it in to my favorite shop and ask them to help me figure it out. Any recommendations?

Vario owners:
on my Vario, for pour over I've been grinding at around "K" and "6". So for the aeropress I've been mostly using around "A" and "7". fwiw, on french press I've been grinding as course as possible.

(Also too, I'm kind of a big deal around here now. Please note my oh so impressive 100 post "senior member" status.)

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Just for future reference (in case you're not sure) the lever on the right (1-10) side of the grinder (looking at it) gets you close to your grind range and the lever on the left (A-W) allows very fine tuning once there. 1 click of the right lever is equal to 20 clicks on the left lever.

Mine is calibrated more toward fine grinding and for daily use (espresso) my right lever is on 4 and of course the left lever is tweaked almost daily to keep dialed in, but typically stays in the G-P range for the coffee I prefer to use. All coffees require a slightly different approach, especially for espresso.

Honestly I have nothing to add for the Aeropress as I've never used one. Surely somebody here has and may be able to offer something. You may want to check YouTube for Aeropress grinding/extraction videos as that could prove helpful.

For drip I have ran mine on 6 and pretty much bottomed out for press, but it is a bit finer than yours may be since mine has been calibrated. It really is all trial and error since so many variables come into play. Once you find a range that you like it will be very consistent in use.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Not to dissuade you from seeking advice, but even if someone gives you the exact answer you're looking for, there are too many other variables in making coffee that their Vario grind setting may not be your ideal Vario grind setting. Water, bean freshness, AP technique... all of that and more will impact your results. You're better of just experimenting, trusting/training your palate, and finding what's best for you.