Grindmaster 875 VS Bunn G3

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
i'm in the market to buy a small grinder due to the fact that some customers are requesting ground. my two options are either the Grindmaster 875 or the Bunn G3. are these two roughly the same, or are there good points and bad points to each?

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
hi namballe, cafe mistico in lima, peru?! where are you located at? My best friends are from Peru and Panama and I used to do business in Peru (believe it or not, i was selling some electronic stuff in Polvos Azules!!!!) I must have been in Lima more than 10 times and usually stay at a hotel nearby Parque Kennedy. and used to hang out at the Miraflores mall by the beach. (they got some awesome restaurants and a movie theater when I got nothing better to do at night).
I might go there again in a month or two. Perhaps I can stop by and get a real Peruvian coffee from your store?
By the way, is there any good coffee coming out of Peru? Any specialty coffees (88 point and up?) that I can buy and try?

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
I find both machines comparable. They have different burrs. The Grindmaster seems to crush(grind) the beans, where as the Bunn cuts the beans.
The Bunn has a 3/4 hp, the Grindmaster has a 1/2 hp motor. I think this makes the Bunn a little more pricey. They both claim to grind 1lb. in 30 seconds.
Found this to be true. They are both heavy duty machines. I like the Grindmaster better for grinding coarse, and the Bunn for drip or a little finer.
After all is said and done, either machine will suit your need for customer grinding. They won't break the bank like a Ditting or a Mahlkonig either.
Are you purchasing new or used? If used, the cabinets come apart pretty easy(little time consuming), you can clean and inspect the wiring.
I have only bought used ones, took them outside and used my leaf blower to clean out old ground coffee. little scraping and wiping down.
Here is a pic of an old Grindmaster 495 I bought used, it was a mess, so I repainted it.
Does a great job especially for coarse grinding-French press.
IMG_1511.jpg

Last edited:

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
I find both machines comparable. They have different burrs. The Grindmaster seems to crush(grind) the beans, where as the Bunn cuts the beans.
The Bunn has a 3/4 hp, the Grindmaster has a 1/2 hp motor. I think this makes the Bunn a little more pricey. They both claim to grind 1lb. in 30 seconds.
Found this to be true. They are both heavy duty machines. I like the Grindmaster better for grinding coarse, and the Bunn for drip or a little finer.
After all is said and done, either machine will suit your need for customer grinding. They won't break the bank like a Ditting or a Mahlkonig either.
Are you purchasing new or used? If used, the cabinets come apart pretty easy(little time consuming), you can clean and inspect the wiring.
I have only bought used ones, took them outside and used my leaf blower to clean out old ground coffee. little scraping and wiping down.
Here is a pic of an old Grindmaster 495 I bought used, it was a mess, so I repainted it.
Does a great job especially for coarse grinding-French press.
View attachment 1805
i'm looking for a slightly used or new unit. don't want to buy one that's been retired from a grocery store. btw, nice job you did on the 495. did you print the JJJ sticker yourself?

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
hi namballe, cafe mistico in lima, peru?! where are you located at? My best friends are from Peru and Panama and I used to do business in Peru (believe it or not, i was selling some electronic stuff in Polvos Azules!!!!) I must have been in Lima more than 10 times and usually stay at a hotel nearby Parque Kennedy. and used to hang out at the Miraflores mall by the beach. (they got some awesome restaurants and a movie theater when I got nothing better to do at night).
I might go there again in a month or two. Perhaps I can stop by and get a real Peruvian coffee from your store?
By the way, is there any good coffee coming out of Peru? Any specialty coffees (88 point and up?) that I can buy and try?
i just got back into Los Angeles, CA in April. haha, i shop at Polvos Azules quite often, as it is close to where i stay in Lima. will be heading back to Peru either end of May or early June. there is very good coffee coming out of Peru, i have some very reliable suppliers. You are more than welcome to stop by and try my roast. it is not a store, but a roasting facility not open to the public. how is the Guatemalan coffee doing?

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
i'm looking for a slightly used or new unit. don't want to buy one that's been retired from a grocery store. btw, nice job you did on the 495. did you print the JJJ sticker yourself?
Restaurant equipment auctions are a good place to find decent used grinders. Craigslist is also recommended, since you can check it out before buying. I know what you mean by used grocery store machines, usually spent or a lot of use. I did not print the labels, purchased from a print shop in Sheridan, WY.