Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Lima, Peru
    Posts
    335

    Grindmaster 875 VS Bunn G3

    i'm in the market to buy a small grinder due to the fact that some customers are requesting ground. my two options are either the Grindmaster 875 or the Bunn G3. are these two roughly the same, or are there good points and bad points to each?
    Cafe Mistico
    Lima, Peru "small artisan roaster"

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
    Posts
    3,340
    hi namballe, cafe mistico in lima, peru?! where are you located at? My best friends are from Peru and Panama and I used to do business in Peru (believe it or not, i was selling some electronic stuff in Polvos Azules!!!!) I must have been in Lima more than 10 times and usually stay at a hotel nearby Parque Kennedy. and used to hang out at the Miraflores mall by the beach. (they got some awesome restaurants and a movie theater when I got nothing better to do at night).
    I might go there again in a month or two. Perhaps I can stop by and get a real Peruvian coffee from your store?
    By the way, is there any good coffee coming out of Peru? Any specialty coffees (88 point and up?) that I can buy and try?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Thomaston, CT
    Posts
    390
    I find both machines comparable. They have different burrs. The Grindmaster seems to crush(grind) the beans, where as the Bunn cuts the beans.
    The Bunn has a 3/4 hp, the Grindmaster has a 1/2 hp motor. I think this makes the Bunn a little more pricey. They both claim to grind 1lb. in 30 seconds.
    Found this to be true. They are both heavy duty machines. I like the Grindmaster better for grinding coarse, and the Bunn for drip or a little finer.
    After all is said and done, either machine will suit your need for customer grinding. They won't break the bank like a Ditting or a Mahlkonig either.
    Are you purchasing new or used? If used, the cabinets come apart pretty easy(little time consuming), you can clean and inspect the wiring.
    I have only bought used ones, took them outside and used my leaf blower to clean out old ground coffee. little scraping and wiping down.
    Here is a pic of an old Grindmaster 495 I bought used, it was a mess, so I repainted it.
    Does a great job especially for coarse grinding-French press.
    Grindmaster 875 VS Bunn G3-img_1511.jpg
    Last edited by JumpinJakJava; 05-03-2014 at 06:37 AM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    227
    Jumpinjak! Is that folgers i see in the background???? I demand an explanation!
    Last edited by Redswing; 05-03-2014 at 10:33 AM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Lima, Peru
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by JumpinJakJava View Post
    I find both machines comparable. They have different burrs. The Grindmaster seems to crush(grind) the beans, where as the Bunn cuts the beans.
    The Bunn has a 3/4 hp, the Grindmaster has a 1/2 hp motor. I think this makes the Bunn a little more pricey. They both claim to grind 1lb. in 30 seconds.
    Found this to be true. They are both heavy duty machines. I like the Grindmaster better for grinding coarse, and the Bunn for drip or a little finer.
    After all is said and done, either machine will suit your need for customer grinding. They won't break the bank like a Ditting or a Mahlkonig either.
    Are you purchasing new or used? If used, the cabinets come apart pretty easy(little time consuming), you can clean and inspect the wiring.
    I have only bought used ones, took them outside and used my leaf blower to clean out old ground coffee. little scraping and wiping down.
    Here is a pic of an old Grindmaster 495 I bought used, it was a mess, so I repainted it.
    Does a great job especially for coarse grinding-French press.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1511.jpg 
Views:	1170 
Size:	2.88 MB 
ID:	1805
    i'm looking for a slightly used or new unit. don't want to buy one that's been retired from a grocery store. btw, nice job you did on the 495. did you print the JJJ sticker yourself?
    Cafe Mistico
    Lima, Peru "small artisan roaster"

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Lima, Peru
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by ensoluna View Post
    hi namballe, cafe mistico in lima, peru?! where are you located at? My best friends are from Peru and Panama and I used to do business in Peru (believe it or not, i was selling some electronic stuff in Polvos Azules!!!!) I must have been in Lima more than 10 times and usually stay at a hotel nearby Parque Kennedy. and used to hang out at the Miraflores mall by the beach. (they got some awesome restaurants and a movie theater when I got nothing better to do at night).
    I might go there again in a month or two. Perhaps I can stop by and get a real Peruvian coffee from your store?
    By the way, is there any good coffee coming out of Peru? Any specialty coffees (88 point and up?) that I can buy and try?
    i just got back into Los Angeles, CA in April. haha, i shop at Polvos Azules quite often, as it is close to where i stay in Lima. will be heading back to Peru either end of May or early June. there is very good coffee coming out of Peru, i have some very reliable suppliers. You are more than welcome to stop by and try my roast. it is not a store, but a roasting facility not open to the public. how is the Guatemalan coffee doing?
    Cafe Mistico
    Lima, Peru "small artisan roaster"

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Thomaston, CT
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by namballe View Post
    i'm looking for a slightly used or new unit. don't want to buy one that's been retired from a grocery store. btw, nice job you did on the 495. did you print the JJJ sticker yourself?
    Restaurant equipment auctions are a good place to find decent used grinders. Craigslist is also recommended, since you can check it out before buying. I know what you mean by used grocery store machines, usually spent or a lot of use. I did not print the labels, purchased from a print shop in Sheridan, WY.

 

 

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Need Help! expressimo grindmaster!
    By bgsu11 in forum Coffee and Espresso Machines
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-20-2012, 01:50 PM
  2. Bunn & Grindmaster Grinders just out of Service.
    By GOLDENEAGLECOFFEEMAN in forum Business to Business B2B
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-22-2010, 03:00 PM
  3. Bunn system 3
    By wendy514 in forum Coffee and Espresso Machines
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-23-2009, 12:59 PM
  4. Buy By Bunn
    By stewartlittle in forum Coffee and Espresso Machines
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-05-2007, 09:38 AM
  5. my new bunn
    By stewartlittle in forum Coffee and Espresso Machines
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-01-2007, 06:44 AM

Search tags for this page

bunn coffee vs grindmaster restaurant
,
bunn g3 grinder vs
,

bunn g3hd coffee grinder forum

,

bunn grindmaster

,
bunn vs grindmaster coffee grinder
,
cafe mistico peru
,
grind.master 875
,

grindmaster vs bunn

,
grindmaster vs bunn grinder
,
how to clean a grindmaster 875
Click on a term to search for related topics.