Need help with Ambex Y2K greasing procedure

nettejoy

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Hello topher, I have had an Ambex 2K for 1 1/2 years now. This is my first machine (which you gave me great advice on when I was looking to purchase) and I love it! I started experiencing belt slippage on the drum several weeks ago. I have only found 1 grease fitting on the rear bearing and filled it. Last week it stopped turning just as the batch finished loading. I burnt the skin off my fingers keeping the shaft turning till it rotated on its own! Under the front cap is a bearing but how do you grease it? Do you remove it and hand pack it? Or do you just fill the cap with grease and smash it back on?? Your help is very appreciated. Thank You

nettejoy

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I have had an Ambex Y2K for just over a 1 1/2 years. The only grease fitting is on the rear drum bearing. On my last roast the drum stopped turning just as the batch finished loading!
The drive belt was slipping and it made a grinding sound as it stopped. How do you grease the front bearing? Do you remove the bearing and hand pack it or do you fill the cap with grease and press it back together? I don't want to take it apart and mess it up more! Your help will be greatly appreciated. I need to roast tomorrow.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
It's good to grease, but I'd say there's a good chance you just had something like a bean or a stone jammed between the drum and face plate.

The front bearing cover comes off, then you clean all the old grease and schmutz out, fill the cover w/ new grease and re-install.

How often is anyone's guess... depends on usage.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
There isn't a grease fitting? Mine had one. Call Amir 727-251-9262 How long have you had the roaster, how often have you roasted...you sure its belt slippage and your drum isn't rubbing on the front lip?

Last edited:

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Peter is correct. If not a stone maybe your drum has moved closer to the front face. You should have gotten a tool that looks like a question mark. This is to adjust the drum. DO NOT ADJUST unless you verify that it is rubbing...also DO NOT ADJUST WHEN IT IS COLD. Rule of thumb is hit it with grease about once a month if you are not using it everyday for hours. Do not over grease. If you hear a light squeaking you should hit it with just a squirt or two. Let us know what you find.

nettejoy

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't think a stone, bean, or rubbing are the causes. When it happened I grabbed the shaft by the drive belt and turned it manually for several minutes. It then was able to spin on its own and I finished the roast. Since it was spinning again I loaded the next batch. Again, right as the batch finished loading it stopped and I turned it manually for a few minutes till it was able. (at this point I have burn blisters on my fingers) Reasoning that it only stopped when the load reached full capacity and was able to rotate after cooking some of the mass away, I loaded my last batch for the day with was only 1.4K to test my theory.

It roasted the small batch without trouble. I'm heading out now to roast. I'll grease the front bearing as Peter suggested and report back tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
You may also have a worn belt. If you have a link-belt, you could take a link out of it.

I notice the same thing, that the motor struggles more when the beans are first dumped, and then once the drum makes a few revolutions and the beans are adequately distributed and lofted, it will turn normally.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I had an old Royal that after a while the leather belt would loosen...I would have to take a wet cloth to the belt to tighten it up. You can get a link-belt pretty cheap...pretty sure the Ambex do not come with them.

nettejoy

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok, it was not a successful day. I cleaned out and greased the front bearing. The first batch stalled at the end of the charge with a grrr sound. I manually turned it for approx. 2 1/2 minutes till it was able. The next batch I decreased the weight by .2 K. It almost stopped at the end and I only had to help it for 1 minute. That's how I proceeded the rest of the day- grr sound at the end of the drop and helping it for the first minute or so. That is until the last 2 roasts. It ground to a stop and had to be helped for 3 - 4 minutes. Again, this only happens as the full weight is loaded and I don't hear any rubbing around the front of the drum. Their is no grr sound or screeching at all when empty. The sound seems to come from the rear of the drum. I am wondering if I am experiencing grease failure? The new grease that I got is automotive grease. The highest drop point I could find was 540 degrees. It is slowly oozing out of the rear bearing. Could this be causing it to grr and stop under full weight?? Is this grease ok?? BTW, It does have a link belt. Its not supper tight but I do not think it will reach with one less link. Is there a belt "dressing" that can be sprayed on to make it more grippy??

nettejoy

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I think you are correct. The belt is tight, the drum has been adjusted tight and I am getting no chaff in the tray. As soon as the load is dropped (even half loads) it grinds to a stop. It is worse the more batches I run. Turning it manually I can hear metal grinding from the rear bearing. Where can I purchase a new one. It is an Ashai brand, 3/4 inch shaft, model F204? Thank you!!

nettejoy

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
After removing a link I could not get the belt to stretch enough to replace it. In a later attempt I removed a link and then unbolted the motor to replace the belt. The front of the motor had to be shimmed up with a washer to not have it to tight, but it has been working great since. Thanks for the help!