Need a coffee machine for cappuccinos at home (not pods!)

thatlucidguy

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys. I have been using a nesprsso pod machine for coffee and its time to give it away. I've tasted so much great coffee recently from specialty coffee shops and have realized what crap the world is drinking at most shops.

I'm not sure if my budget can feed my taste, so I need some advice. What coffee machine can I buy to

1. Pull a great double espresso shot from pre ground beans (no grinder needed)

2. Steam milk with a wand and decent pressure for cappuccinos

For under $500. Possible? Some people I've spoken to are such coffee buffs they say I need to spend $5000 minimum or forget it.

Maybe I will one day but right now, I just need expert opinions on what machine can do those two things I mentioned above.

Thanks!!

BFRoasters

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I would start small and work your way up. You can make decent cappucinos from a moka pot, I know its not really espresso. They also have a few inexpensive manual espresso makers. Check online and do some research and you will find a bunch of options.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I would start small and work your way up. You can make decent cappucinos from a moka pot, I know its not really espresso. They also have a few inexpensive manual espresso makers. Check online and do some research and you will find a bunch of options.

My guess is that if the OP is content with buying pre ground coffee for his espresso machine, the moka pot would actually be indiscernible from actual espresso. No offense.

thatlucidguy

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
None taken @peterjschmidt. Your comment made me question whether the coffee shop would sell pre ground as I got the notion that beans are better, and I was wrong. They sell the beans. So I guess I'm looking for a grinder

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Coffee buffs? More like coffee morons with their heads up their butts. It gets old reading that X amount must be spent on equipment for good/consistent espresso. Decent equipment that will perform and last isn't cheap, but certainly not a MUST that thousands be spent to achieve what you're looking for. Truth is most just don't have the skill/mind set to make it happen regardless of what equipment they have to work on. WAY too many yuppie snobs in coffee and I really enjoy putting them in their place.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
What do you guys think of a Gaggia classic?

The Classic is a very capable machine. Good/simple build quality, easy/cheap to maintain and will serve you well for many years. Some will comment on the hybrid boiler as a negative, but I have never found this to be the case. The group (lower part of boiler) is chrome plated brass with a proper dispersion disc/screen and the upper part of the boiler is aluminum with external heating elements. Use balanced water and descale here/there as added protection and you will be good to go. The boiler is a bit small at 3.5 oz, but recovers so well capacity isn't an issue.

Keep in mind the Classic is a "single boiler double use" machine and you will have to alternate between brewing/steaming as needed.